The Student Room Group

Nursing Strike

Before the general election the RCN balloted nurses over whether they would go on strike if the NHS pay freeze continued.
Now the conservatives are in government again, it looks like austerity will continue.
Do you think nurses should/will now go on strike over pay?
It wasn't a ballot, it was yet another survey to see how far nurses would want to take action.

The next step the RCN want to take are protests through the summer followed by a potential ballot on industrial action.

I doubt the RCN will be able to get enough nurses to reply to an official ballot according to trade union legislation for them to take industrial action. Nurses will be victims of their own apathy.

I also don't think now is the time for nurses to peruse this, if you'd asked me a couple of months ago I'd have supported industrial action, but I think with the current chaos going on in Westminster nurses are best off biding their time and letting everything settle first.
Reply 2
Thanks for the info.
The chaos in Westminster won't help but protests take weeks/months to organise large scale ones. I hope the RCN do organise some, this needs putting further up the public agenda.
Original post by moonkatt
It wasn't a ballot, it was yet another survey to see how far nurses would want to take action.

The next step the RCN want to take are protests through the summer followed by a potential ballot on industrial action.

I doubt the RCN will be able to get enough nurses to reply to an official ballot according to trade union legislation for them to take industrial action. Nurses will be victims of their own apathy.

I also don't think now is the time for nurses to peruse this, if you'd asked me a couple of months ago I'd have supported industrial action, but I think with the current chaos going on in Westminster nurses are best off biding their time and letting everything settle first.

PRSOM
Original post by Smile88egc
Thanks for the info.
The chaos in Westminster won't help but protests take weeks/months to organise large scale ones. I hope the RCN do organise some, this needs putting further up the public agenda.

Local branches have been preparing activities for through the summer, there's more information on the RCN website, alternatively you could contact your local branch and see what they're getting up to.
Reply 5
New inflation figures out today show the real-terms pay cuts for nurses are just getting worse and worse!
And now they want them to pay tuition fees??
2.9% inflationwages go up by 1% another real term pay cut.
Reply 7
Looks like the RCN have announced their first protest about the pay cap for Tuesday 27th June in London, a must for all nurses and student nurses that can get there!
Original post by Smile88egc
Looks like the RCN have announced their first protest about the pay cap for Tuesday 27th June in London, a must for all nurses and student nurses that can get there!

Unfortunately it's unlikely to get a good turn out from the nurses themselves, so hopefully there is enough awareness raised with the general public. There should be quite a few London based nurses who are off shift, but I think it very unlikely we would see people using their annual leave or travelling down.
the only issue i have wirg striking is who willcare for my patients. there ae two of us in my district if we both strike no one will be there to care for them. im not prepared to stop work on those grounds. a work to rule. refusing to do none clinical paperwork would be effective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending