Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A Level Computer Science H046/H446 Revision or Questions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Upcoming on the 16th of June is the first examination for the OCR A Level Computer Science for the specifications of H046/H446.

However, I feel extremely worried about these exams as a number of factors. Firstly and most obviously, it's a brand new specification with no past papers whatsoever, I am one of many people to first sit these papers. Secondly, I am not entirely confident in my Computer Science teacher's learning abilities.

After trying out and working with the two sample papers provided by OCR, I've realised that I struggle to answer a lot of the questions. The purpose of this thread is to ask anyone out there for any sort of questions to practise or revision material?

I am fully aware of the YouTube channel Craig'n'Dave, and without a doubt they are extremely helpful with learning. However, I just feel that I need some sort of questions or material to practise upon in preparation for this exams.

Thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    I bought this book and it is good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-AS-Leve...cience+a+level

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same situation here... I'm sure your not the only one that is worried, our class is screwed xD
    lmao i'm sure grade boundaries will be low xD kek
    i'm just gonna to do some past papers from the old spec.
    and watch all of craigndave videos,
    although there is a practice paper available! (not a specimen paper)
    ask your teachers they should have access to it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JoshDilliway)
    Hi, I've moved your thread over to the Computer Science forum so you'll hopefully get more replies good luck for your exams!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions on what might come up??

ReputationRep:
    On the AS last year there was no logic so I am hoping that will come up! Most things will probably come up in some form, but Data Structures or OOP could be on either paper. Hopefully database normalisation will not come up!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sad going into this exam tbh. It's really hard for all of us this year, so I think the grade boundaries will be really low simply because we haven't had a lot to work with. Wishing everyone luck tho, hope it goes alright. Personally I wonder what's going to come up on Paper 2.

ReputationRep:
    How much Psuedo code will be in tomorrows paper. I am completely fine with the content in the first unit and CSS, Javascript and HTML but my actual psuedo code ability isn't good at all Surely paper 2 should be focused more on psuedo code than this one?

ReputationRep:
    This course is unbelievably bad. That exam? Even worse. Barely anything out of the huge (and vague) spec came up. OCR have royally messed us around.
    The spec paper provided had nothing to do with any of it. 2 pseudocode questions, max of 9 markers. This exam? A 12 marker out of nowhere. 4 (maybe 3) pseudocode questions.
    There was nothing on registers, the fde cycle, buses, i/o, storage, programming paradigms, laws, topologies (you know, the things that are useful if you wish to study the subject further)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipJFries)
    This course is unbelievably bad. That exam? Even worse. Barely anything out of the huge (and vague) spec came up. OCR have royally messed us around.
    The spec paper provided had nothing to do with any of it. 2 pseudocode questions, max of 9 markers. This exam? A 12 marker out of nowhere. 4 (maybe 3) pseudocode questions.
    There was nothing on registers, the fde cycle, buses, i/o, storage, programming paradigms, laws, topologies (you know, the things that are useful if you wish to study the subject further)
    I fully agree with what you are saying. However, I didn't find it THAT bad. I actually thought I found it ok. I am terrible at coding so let's just say that I've lost those marks for the functions which if I recall correctly was a total of 10 marks. Anyway, the spec is so wide. The large parts of the spec didn't come up and only the small parts did... That's what frustrates me. The time I spent revising databases and networks the copy right act stuff etc...

Oh how much I regret taking computer science, worst subject ever at A level if you go to a public school. Most teachers are rubbish with the exception of a few.

Hoping for at least a C in that paper. Felt as if I got at least half marks.

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam okay, definitely some tricky questions that had me stumped for a good portion of the exam. I think OCR CS really needs a re-design, it's either:
    -know 4-5 topics inside out and risk them not appearing in the exam.
    or
    - know a bit about everything and struggling on the majority of questions.

Either the spec needs to reduced or the contents of each paper need to be much clearer. For example in Maths where you already know what will appear on each paper you sit.

Overall, was a decent exam. Went a lot better than AQA Physics Unit 1.

ReputationRep:
    The exam itself was fine but i crammed all of it into the last few days, also i'm a terrible programmer so i didnt answer any of those questions - reckon i lost out on 30-50 marks combined with the things i didnt really know what to write for + programming
    What did everyone get for their projects and how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proprofootball)
    The exam itself was fine but i crammed all of it into the last few days, also i'm a terrible programmer so i didnt answer any of those questions - reckon i lost out on 30-50 marks combined with the things i didnt really know what to write for + programming
    Same boat as you about coding. I feel as if I've got about at least half marks. Tbh, thinking about it, I'd say about 60 marks I lost probably..

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. The exam went absolutely awful. What is OCR even doing?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone roughly know what the grade boundaries are going to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo_0199)
    Anyone roughly know what the grade boundaries are going to be?
    I'm not too sure as it will be assessed by everyone's marks. However, you can take a look at the AS grade boundaries to give you a fair idea (kind of):

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/322819-new-as-level-grade-boundaries-june-2016-series.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proprofootball)
    I got 95% for coursework. Hopefully that it will bump my ums up

ReputationRep:
    Is there no unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeet.)
    I found the exam okay, definitely some tricky questions that had me stumped for a good portion of the exam. I think OCR CS really needs a re-design, it's either:
    -know 4-5 topics inside out and risk them not appearing in the exam.
    or
    - know a bit about everything and struggling on the majority of questions.

Either the spec needs to reduced or the contents of each paper need to be much clearer. For example in Maths where you already know what will appear on each paper you sit.

Overall, was a decent exam. Went a lot better than AQA Physics Unit 1.
    I agree, at least for Maths I can work on a module at a time with a couple of days to cram a certain topic, or physics I get a couple of modules difference. In computing it's everything thrown at you at once.

ReputationRep:
    For the people at our school, quite a few of us found that as the easiest game we've ever done for computing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.