The Student Room Group

Should I go to A&E for blood in urine?

Just as the title says, I just discovered blood in my urine, and was wondering whether I should go to A&E?

I am going on holiday on Sunday, and there are no GP appointments available before then. So would it be wise for me to go A&E now, or wait until I come back to see a GP?
Phone 111 and they will tell you what the best thing to do is :smile:
I'm not a doctor but I think you need to calm down. This isn't a matter for A&E.

Book with your GP for when you return from your holiday and try to get a cancellation appointment in the meantime if it's really worrying you.
Your GP should have emergency appointments.
Original post by Anonymous
Just as the title says, I just discovered blood in my urine, and was wondering whether I should go to A&E?

I am going on holiday on Sunday, and there are no GP appointments available before then. So would it be wise for me to go A&E now, or wait until I come back to see a GP?

Defo call 111 mate.
Reply 5
Definitely not A and E, that's for life threatening problems.
Happened to me before, had a kidney infection, just see a GP about it
Reply 6

Does IT hurt when you urinate?
A&E isn't an alternative to your GP.

As above - I'd call 111.
Not A&E but act quickly. If it is indeed a kidney infection, your GP will prescribe you an antibiotic treatment such as Erethromycin. If that does not work, you will have to book another appointment.

But yes, book an emergency appointment.

I would advise the hospital's GP or out of hours GP, if your local GP is fully booked up. I would also advise you don't delay, just because blood in urine can be serious in some cases.
4 years ago I had blood in urine for 10 days at one point it was black. It started with me feeling ill and tired I slept a lot then noticed blood. Went to gp who referred me on to urology they couldn't find anything abnormal apart from this blood/ haematuria. I did have a cold at the same time which might have triggered it but I'm not sure how. Urology discharged me and said a virus probably affected my kidneys but I've looked it up can't find anything about colds causing bloody urine.

This is not an emergency like a heart attack or something, but is an urgent matter as it indicates internal bleeding which obviously isn't good.
Tell the drs surgery that it is urgent and you are going on holiday soon (tell them you are peeing blood). They can probably give you an urgent appt, but if not go to a walk-in or A&E.
You can also call 111 for advice. They can tell you where to go or book you appts places like the hospital.
Hospitals usually have appts for urgent matters that aren't emergencies. They are kinda difficult to work out, but 111 can sort it all out for you so it's always worth calling them before waiting around at A&E for ages.

This is not something that can wait until you get back from holiday.
It is unlikely to be anything serious and could even be colouring from red foods, but if it is anything more serious it will need to be seen to quickly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Your surgery should have emergency on the day appointments, find out what time they open and ring first thing tomorrow. Explain you're going away and what they advise if they really can't fit you in or you can't go and sit there to wait for a cancellation.

I wouldn't leave it, I had a kidney infection once that I left and I ended up in hospital overnight. You definitely shouldn't be going away for a week without it treated if that's what it is.

Quick Reply