The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Will City, University of London offer me a conditional place?

Hi

I've applied for the Optometry (BSc) for the 2017 entry at City, University of London. I've applied through the UCAS Extra hoping to secure a place before clearing starts as I know most of the undergraduate courses will be unavailable. I'm studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Software Development and I'm 99% certain I'm going to achieve a D*DD. The course is asking for 136 UCAS points and didn't specify if they accepted BTEC Level 3 qualifications. All it said was "or equivalent". I meet all the GCSE requirements also. I'm just worried that they would decline because the course that I am studying isn't "Science" related. Also, if they do not accept me, they also have a foundation course called "Opthalmic Dispensing". If I choose to study this, will I gain direct access to Optometry after 1 year or when the course finishes which is 3 years. I really do need a ton of advice here.

Thanks a ton!
Original post by Abdul_Ahad
Hi

I've applied for the Optometry (BSc) for the 2017 entry at City, University of London. I've applied through the UCAS Extra hoping to secure a place before clearing starts as I know most of the undergraduate courses will be unavailable. I'm studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Software Development and I'm 99% certain I'm going to achieve a D*DD. The course is asking for 136 UCAS points and didn't specify if they accepted BTEC Level 3 qualifications. All it said was "or equivalent". I meet all the GCSE requirements also. I'm just worried that they would decline because the course that I am studying isn't "Science" related. Also, if they do not accept me, they also have a foundation course called "Opthalmic Dispensing". If I choose to study this, will I gain direct access to Optometry after 1 year or when the course finishes which is 3 years. I really do need a ton of advice here.

Thanks a ton!

On the main degree it asks for two sciences, so I doubt youd get an offer for that as your BTEC does not have the science content.

The foundation course mentions BTEC at DDD, but it also mentions a preference for some Biology study.

As you pointed out there does appear to be some flexibility and they take it on a case by case basis. Perhaps you have Biology O level or can point to further study in science or generally convince them. You should try and probably contact the department direct to get an idea of what they want.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
On the main degree it asks for two sciences, so I doubt youd get an offer for that as your BTEC does not have the science content.

The foundation course mentions BTEC at DDD, but it also mentions a preference for some Biology study.

As you pointed out there does appear to be some flexibility and they take it on a case by case basis. Perhaps you have Biology O level or can point to further study in science or generally convince them. You should try and probably contact the department direct to get an idea of what they want.

No problem, I do have a GCSE in Biology which is always a good thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Abdul_Ahad
No problem, I do have a GCSE in Biology which is always a good thing.

Mystified?
Reply 4
hey guys, i have been offered a place at city for a foundation year in electrical engineering and im studying applied science, AS maths and A2 business. my requirements are an A in AS maths, C in business and a distinction on applied science. my question is if i come out with BB disctinction and my offer is AC distinction will i be accepted or rejected?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending