Farmerjj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  500.8 KBHi,
I'm stuck on part b of this question and don't really know where to start. Also for part c would I be right in saying you would just set it up and see which electrode got larger?
Thanks
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For part b i can't 100% answer. I would say look at the last column of the table. Like B is more positive than A for example. This is probably what you need to use to do reactivities. I just can't remember how you can order the reactivity using how positive the letters are.
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Farmerjj)
Hi,
I'm stuck on part b of this question and don't really know where to start. Also for part c would I be right in saying you would just set it up and see which electrode got larger?
Thanks
Apparently more reactive metals have a more negative standard electrode potential. So you need to look at which element is at the positive terminal and that one must therefore be the less reactive of the two. So B is less reactive than A from the first one.
Farmerjj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by alfredholmes)
Apparently more reactive metals have a more negative standard electrode potential. So you need to look at which element is at the positive terminal and that one must therefore be the less reactive of the two. So B is less reactive than A from the first one.
Do you know why that is, or do we not need to know that?
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Farmerjj)
Do you know why that is, or do we not need to know that?
Not really I get a bit confused with the whole thing because lots of stuff seems to be glossed over on this topic. I think is is because the thing at the most negative electrode gets oxidised, so the metal goes from being a metal into one of its ions, while the other one goes from an ion to a metal, so if it were a gcse style displacement reaction you'd say that the more negative one displaces the more positive one because it is more reactive.
james0902
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Isn't it just A D B C?
If B is more positive than A
and C is more positive than B
and B is more positive than D

If you think about it logically, C is the most positive, B is the second most positive, then D, and finally A.
The reactivity series is derived from electrochemical cell potentials, where the most negative is the most reactive.
Therefore, it would be A D B C
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads