The Student Room Group

Anyone going university but dislike reading?

I always try to read, but I either procrastinate or I read and nothing goes into my head because my mind just wanders else where. (This is usually fiction). Is this normal?

I am worried because I plan on studying a humanities at university -.-, I am not gifted in maths or science. So most courses that I like supposedly involve a lot of reading.

How much reading is involved in university? I assume its just reading the most relevant parts of a book rather than the whole book?
Original post by SuperHuman98
I always try to read, but I either procrastinate or I read and nothing goes into my head because my mind just wanders else where. (This is usually fiction). Is this normal?

I am worried because I plan on studying a humanities at university -.-, I am not gifted in maths or science. So most courses that I like supposedly involve a lot of reading.

How much reading is involved in university? I assume its just reading the most relevant parts of a book rather than the whole book?

Sometimes you need to read a whole book to find the relevant quote/part though...

Humanities courses are very reading heavy. You're expected to put in around 30-40 hours study time per week.
Original post by Friffinghell
Sometimes you need to read a whole book to find the relevant quote/part though...

Humanities courses are very reading heavy. You're expected to put in around 30-40 hours study time per week.

I think when it comes to reading and writing down/note taking i am okay with so i preety much just panicked over nothing xD
How do expect to ever learn anything without reading?
Original post by SuperHuman98
I think when it comes to reading and writing down/note taking i am okay with so i preety much just panicked over nothing xD

So long as you're not doing something interpretive like English Lit you can probably make it through by skimming/scanning.
Original post by Friffinghell

Yeah, but nobody ever does. Most of the students I know barely do anything until exam time.
Obviously with an English Literature degree reading is the crucial element. However, with other Humanities degrees you still have to read a lot. For history, the minimum I was told I had to read was at least five journal articles a week or a equivalent of four important chapters from a book. If you find it hard to read constantly then the best thing to do is to break it up into manageable chunks, gradually increasing the amount you read everyday. Start off aiming to read a paragraph of text a day, increasing it to a page a day, then a chapter a day.

Quick Reply

Latest