whoknowsreally
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
starting in sept. not sure what exam board it is, but i know the spec goes something like research methods, eating disorder and then schizophrenia or something. anyone here study a level psychology? what's it like?
ATealOcean
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have done exexcel psychology and this was the course structure:

Year 1:
- Cognitive -> Memory and dementia
- Social -> Obedience and prejudice
- Biological -> The brain, hormones, neurotransmitters, evolution and Frued
- Learning -> Phobias, operant and classical conditioning,

Year 2:
- Child -> Autism, attachment, deprivation, privation and day care
- Clinical -> We looked at schizophrenia and unipolar depression
- Methodology
- Issues and debates

I loved psychology and it has been my favorite subject
pastelsloth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sammy7)
I have done exexcel psychology and this was the course structure:

Year 1:
- Cognitive -> Memory and dementia
- Social -> Obedience and prejudice
- Biological -> The brain, hormones, neurotransmitters, evolution and Frued
- Learning -> Phobias, operant and classical conditioning,

Year 2:
- Child -> Autism, attachment, deprivation, privation and day care
- Clinical -> We looked at schizophrenia and unipolar depression
- Methodology
- Issues and debates

I loved psychology and it has been my favorite subject
it's reassuring to know you liked it-my school's doing edexcel (i hope i get into the course) but i wanted to do aqa bc i just prefer their specification etc. so i thought i might have not liked it but its good to know it isnt bad?

how did you revise for it?
Ihonestlydk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great subject. So much content to remember so you might stress out as there are a vast majority of evaluation points you will need to remember for each topic in order to achieve the highest marks.

I was dumb to leave my revision till last so I'm struggling for A2. I might consider retaking it if I don't receive the grade I want while doing a foundation year in Psychology.

Overall the subject is interesting.
ATealOcean
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pastelsloth)
it's reassuring to know you liked it-my school's doing edexcel (i hope i get into the course) but i wanted to do aqa bc i just prefer their specification etc. so i thought i might have not liked it but its good to know it isnt bad?

how did you revise for it?
A mixture of things. I made tables for all of the extra studies so I could cover up the results or date to test myself. I also used flashcards and would condense an entire theory onto one cars. Also lots and lots of practice questions and highlighting PowerPoints. Haven't finished my exams yet but have been predicted an A. Hope that helps and good luck with your exams!
soIiIoquy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
its v hard, but interesting. lots of evaluation to learn
SublimeArchon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Content is 90% easy imo, most of it pretty straightforward. If you know how to prepare early on, revise after each topic you learn, and can retain masses of simple yet congested information easily, then its great for you. I, however, left stuff til last minute, please don't do that.
pastelsloth
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A mixture of things. I made tables for all of the extra studies so I could cover up the results or date to test myself. I also used flashcards and would condense an entire theory onto one cars. Also lots and lots of practice questions and highlighting PowerPoints. Haven't finished my exams yet but have been predicted an A. Hope that helps and good luck with your exams!
Ohh I love flashcards-so its good those can still be used : D, so is it mainly memory and writing essays? I like the idea of memorizing things because I'm good at that and my english essays are usually really good too-but writing essays can be annoying af. i'd get them done but then again if they're on a topic i like then id be happy to write one. is it really that difficult? i know its not easy but it isn't near impossible to get an A/A*? congrats on being predicted an A though-that's really good! maybe you'll get even better than that!!! : D
ATealOcean
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pastelsloth)
Ohh I love flashcards-so its good those can still be used : D, so is it mainly memory and writing essays? I like the idea of memorizing things because I'm good at that and my english essays are usually really good too-but writing essays can be annoying af. i'd get them done but then again if they're on a topic i like then id be happy to write one. is it really that difficult? i know its not easy but it isn't near impossible to get an A/A*? congrats on being predicted an A though-that's really good! maybe you'll get even better than that!!! : D
Yeah you need to basically apply knowledge, evaluate and quote studies a lot. It is hard work but if you work hard throughout the whole year. Due to illness I was missing two/three lessons a month so had to do lots of catch up but it is manageable
pastelsloth
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah you need to basically apply knowledge, evaluate and quote studies a lot. It is hard work but if you work hard throughout the whole year. Due to illness I was missing two/three lessons a month so had to do lots of catch up but it is manageable
^^ ok thank u
Roger11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
great subject, but alot of remembering... ALOT.... I have 3 exams, 4 topics in 2 exams, 3 topics in the other. each topic has up to 10 things to learn about (10 possible essay) apart from research methods... so per paper 2-3 essays will come up of the possible 30-40 ish. It's easier then it sounds but you do need a lot of revsision through out the year. But no it's not that hard as long as you get used to it. Very very interesting though, makes you realise alot of stuff about other people and yourself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads