How do you take notes / organise your notes??

Watch
1999chloe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm attempting to organise all my school work for the new year as I'm starting my A-levels. I'm studying two languages and two histories. I don't know how to organise eveything and I was wondering how everyone else does? Like do you just keep everything in a folder, or a note pad or a mix of both??

amystks
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
for languages, it might be useful to have a book for vocab and a folder for class work. just so everything is organised. you might have two teachers who each teach different topics, so its easier to sort out a folder, or have smaller folders for each sub topic. i suppose it depends how you like to work.
for history, people at my school have a book for essays and work done in class in a folder organised by topic
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 1999chloe)
I'm attempting to organise all my school work for the new year as I'm starting my A-levels. I'm studying two languages and two histories. I don't know how to organise eveything and I was wondering how everyone else does? Like do you just keep everything in a folder, or a note pad or a mix of both??
Personally, I'm really unorganised. However, it would be good to get a folder for each subject you're studying. Make sure to date your work and file it in chronological order. As you're learning your subjects at school or college, your teacher should work through the topics in an order that makes sense, so when you file it by date, it (should) make sense.

In terms of note taking, there's an excellent system that was recommended to me at GCSE, A Level and by lecturers at the University of Manchester when I went for a UMASS activity day. This is the holy grail of note-taking... we call it The Cornell System. It basically involves writing down the main bulky information, putting keywords and questions to the left, and then underneath you write a summary of the topic. This will probably be most useful for your history subjects, but you might be able to adapt it for languages.

Here's a quick template I found online, by typing in "Cornell note taking template" - there are loads of them. You don't necessarily have to print them out, you can just split your page up. It helps to consolidate the information in your head, especially if you only make use of the bulky information section during the lesson and then come back to the other sections after class.
Spoiler:
Show

Name:  cornell-notes-0128589.png
Views: 410
Size:  64.1 KB

SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 1999chloe)
Personally, I would take a notepad to the lessons (along with whatever textbooks you will need for the subjects) where I'd write as many notes as I can, and I usually try to make sure my notes are neat but if they're not it's not the end of the world. For certain topics, I would write up my notes again neatly as if revising either on the computer or as a poster-like sheet and I'd keep this in a folder at home so that when I came to revise I would have a good, neat set of notes to work from. I'd hold onto my notes from the lesson and take these with me each time (in case you need to look back for information), but as each topic ends, file them away in the folder too.

As the person above has said, try to put dates on your notes and keep them in order too!
1999chloe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks everyone) all really useful tips, will defo try the Cornell system!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads