Would you rather live in poverty in 2017 or in riches in 1517?

Watch
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(In England)

2017 - you are poor and live in a poor area but you have access to free public services like the NHS, police, etc. You will probably have a TV. Life will be difficult but you generally enjoy the lifestyle of someone in 2017, albeit in poverty.

1517 - you are very rich. You live like a Prince, but you have to suffer the lifestyle defects of the time compared to now - poor health, sanitation, no electronics, etc.

Both lifestyles would be permanent, i.e. you could not escape poverty in 2017 or become a commoner in 1517.

Which would you choose?
Skyrim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
balanced
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2017 poverty.
Now, I'm bending the rules a bit here maybe, but we live in a capitalist country (well at least I do) so it's not that bad as I can escape poverty through hard work.
Iridocyclitis
Rep:
?
(Original post by balanced)
2017 poverty.
Now, I'm bending the rules a bit here maybe, but we live in a capitalist country (well at least I do) so it's not that bad as I can escape poverty through hard work.
I'm afraid to make the decision more difficult both living arrangements would be permanent, i.e. you would never live outside of poverty in 2017.
monkeyman0121
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iridocyclitis)
(In England)

2017 - you are poor and live in a poor area but you have access to free public services like the NHS, police, etc. You will probably have a TV. Life will be difficult but you generally enjoy the lifestyle of someone in 2017, albeit in poverty.

1517 - you are very rich. You live like a Prince, but you have to suffer the lifestyle defects of the time compared to now - poor health, sanitation, no electronics, etc.

Which would you choose?
2017 and poor. I can change who I am then and lead a happy long life. If I was rich at 1517 I would die young as there was no cure for some of the simple ailments they had back then.
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(In England)

2017 - you are poor
how poor tho? :holmes:

and live in a poor area
depends on the area...:holmes:

(In England)you have access to free public services like the NHS
so massive wait times:holmes:

You will probably have a TV
but no wifi? :holmes:

1517 - you are very rich. You live like a Prince

Ill take it

Spoiler:
Show

besides no exams- and yes Im that desperate to avoid biology next week

and yes charles II was 1630 but close enough

Iridocyclitis
Rep:
?
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
2017 and poor. I can change who I am then and lead a happy long life. If I was rich at 1517 I would die young as there was no cure for some of the simple ailments they had back then.
See new disclaimer in bold in the OP.

Mainly trying to see if people would choose the fun and extravagance of being rich in 1517 vs the pragmatism of being in poverty in 2017 yet having access to things like the NHS.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
See new disclaimer in bold in the OP.

Mainly trying to see if people would choose the fun and extravagance of being rich in 1517 vs the pragmatism of being in poverty in 2017 yet having access to things like the NHS.
Fun is what you want it to be, you don't have to be rich to have fun. I would still pick 2017. As long as I worked enough to get by and would have relationships with people to stay sane i would be fine. (Normally rich people in history would not be liked because they mostly care about themselves, and even if you gave people lots of stuff then it would not be a good relationship.)
jkls92
Report 4 years ago
1517 and rich. Every time has its peculiarities and valuable aspects, think about all the writers, artists, thinkers and historical figures present at the time. Having said this, I'd rather live in the 18th-19th and early 20th or in the last five centuries BC, those were times during which I'd see myself enjoying the money more, and also culturally more interesting.
4ÆM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
More opportunities to become rich yourself
ed98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2017 and poor. I would be dead by now had I been born in 1517 I was born with a congenital issue so...
username2552331
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1517- who wouldn't want to be a Prince?
Inister
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Easily 2017 English poverty. If you get unlucky as a rich dude in 1517 with any sort of serious health issue, prepare for either your death or your much shortened life
ddrrzzeerr
Report 4 years ago
1517. Living in poverty is miserable. The NHS, police and TVs aren't much of a consolation for that. Living in luxury would be great fun.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Assuming I can keep my knowledge and my phone. I can take photos of all science books, and create my own electric generator to charge my phone. Then I can access the photos and become the greatest scientist of all time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.82%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.97%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.03%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (20)
25.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.56%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed