The Student Room Group

Postgrad loans: UK citizen, residency?

Hello Student Finance England/TSR,

I have an offer with a scholarship to cover fees etc from Oxbridge for a masters starting this September. Although I had assumed all British nationals would automatically qualify for the new postgrad loans, I'm a little confused about the three years' residency in England clause.

I am English and grew up in England and currently live in England, but I participated on the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Programme in Japan from 2012 - 2015. From this previous thread, it seems that my time in Japan would be seen as a temporary absence (and indeed from my point of view it was - I came back to the UK every year and it is essentially a graduate exchange programme) as the contracts I was working under were temporary and I would just need to provide evidence of this. Would anyone be able to clarify if this is the case? The university has judged me to be a 'Home' student and a UK resident as well as UK national.

I am unable to defer this wonderful scholarship (which for humanities masters are rare as hen's teeth!) until next year when I would automatically have been living for three years before my course begins, but my savings don't quite cover the costs and there are insufficient funds in Bank of Mum and Dad, so these loans would be a tremendous help and I am desperately hoping I am eligible so I can take this amazing opportunity!

Any assistance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Original post by hennahen
I am English and grew up in England and currently live in England, but I participated on the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Programme in Japan from 2012 - 2015. From this previous thread, it seems that my time in Japan would be seen as a temporary absence (and indeed from my point of view it was - I came back to the UK every year and it is essentially a graduate exchange programme) as the contracts I was working under were temporary and I would just need to provide evidence of this.

Hi hennahen!

This is all accurate. If your visa for Japan was temporary, and so were your work contracts, you can supply them along with your application to ensure your absence from the UK will be overlooked.

I am unable to defer this wonderful scholarship (which for humanities masters are rare as hen's teeth!) until next year

In that case, apply as soon as possible, and let us get to processing your evidence! We will award your funding, and put your mind at ease.

Thanks for posting :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Evan,

Thanks for your quick reply - that is reassuring! :smile: I do have a few follow-up questions if that's alright...

What evidence would be acceptable in this case? As my work contracts are all in Japanese (and I'm not 100^% sure if I still have the original documents), would letters from employers stating the dates of contracts etc. be sufficient evidence? (I will contact them ASAP).

Also, with the application form and previous addresses, should I just write my home address for 2012-15 or my contact addresses in Japan?

Last question - is there anything else I can do or include to help my application be processed (e.g. cover letter explaining my situation in detail)?

Thanks again for your help! :smile:
Hi hennahen,

Thank you for your question.

Here is a list of acceptable evidence:

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

Temporary visas or work permits

Dependent on your situation, you may not have any of the evidence above (e.g. they went abroad, self-funded, no employment etc.). In these circumstances you can send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Evidence will need to be the original documents.

Thank you,
Kruti
Reply 4
Dear Kruti,

Thank you for your reply - that is helpful information. I am currently contacting former employers for letters to confirm this, and also looking through documents to see if I can find previous contracts.

I am still slightly nervous my application will be rejected, but thank you and to Evan @ SFE for all your assistance - I will keep my fingers crossed!
Hi hennahen,

Good luck!

Thank you,
Kruti

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending