Interested in Creating a New Political Party?

Watch
jacobosborne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is anyone interested in creating a new party for the TSR MHoC?

I would like to form a new party that is pragmatic, meritocratic, centrist and in the style of France's En Marche. If you are interested let me know.
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what is meritocratic?

but otherwise im a left-centralist so tis of some interest I guess (but note the word interest instead of commitment)
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
what is meritocratic?

but otherwise im a left-centralist so tis of some interest I guess (but note the word interest instead of commitment)
It means progress based on ability and talent rather than on class privilege.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you manage to set it up I will dual to help you get it set up as it's not a simple job and I was involved in the last party to be created

Here is the relevant part of the MHoC guidance Document (our rules along with the constitution)

1) If wanting to form a party, someone should put a thread in the Model House of Commons forum spelling out their main principles.
2) Interested people should PM the Speaker and proposer.
3) In deciding whether to allow a party to form, the Speaker should be primarily mindful of the support for the party. Precedent sets the hurdle as 10 eligible voters showing support, though the Speaker may want to consider other factors, such as whether those voters are active House of Commons members.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jacobosborne)
If there was one IRL, id go for it straight away but tsr im not on as much as I was before so it wouldnt really be a firm commitment for me on TSR tbh
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not just class privilege. We can also see it in gender and racial inequality, with the former being seen with companies offering positions to women over more able men just to get the tax breaks. Interestingly enough, a man made $16 million from investing in companies that were rivals to the companies who adopted this strategy of hiring less able women.
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
(Original post by joecphillips)
If you manage to set it up I will dual to help you get it set up as it's not a simple job and I was involved in the last party to be created

Here is the relevant part of the MHoC guidance Document (our rules along with the constitution)

1) If wanting to form a party, someone should put a thread in the Model House of Commons forum spelling out their main principles.
2) Interested people should PM the Speaker and proposer.
3) In deciding whether to allow a party to form, the Speaker should be primarily mindful of the support for the party. Precedent sets the hurdle as 10 eligible voters showing support, though the Speaker may want to consider other factors, such as whether those voters are active House of Commons members.
I'll gladly take up your offer of help if it forms! At the moment I just want to see if there is sufficient interest for the party I am proposing.
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
If there was one IRL, id go for it straight away but tsr im not on as much as I was before so it wouldnt really be a firm commitment for me on TSR tbh
You don't have to do anything within the party if you don't want to but if you agree to join the proposed party it will increase the chance of it being created. You seem to have similar views so it would be a shame if you didn't.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not just class privilege. We can also see it in gender and racial inequality, with the former being seen with companies offering positions to women over more able men just to get the tax breaks. Interestingly enough, a man made $16 million from investing in companies that were rivals to the companies who adopted this strategy of hiring less able women.
would said term also include religion as a non-disriminatory factor as well or would that still be a discriminatory factor?
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
The idea of meritocracy ignores all other personal attributes and focuses on ability. It is about the most able getting the top jobs.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I would like to form a new party that is pragmatic, meritocratic, centrist and in the style of France's En Marche. If you are interested let me know.
Good luck in forming, and just so the Speaker knows about your intentions, I'm going to tag him in now, PetrosAC, we have a new party proposal :eek:!.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by quasa)
would said term also include religion as a non-disriminatory factor as well or would that still be a discriminatory factor?

Religion is a discriminatory factor as well. I mean, even you having the wrong length eyebrows can be discriminatory if its the factor for being not given a job.

I would be glad to help out but won't join the party. If you're interested, drop me a PM
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't have to do anything within the party if you don't want to but if you agree to join the proposed party it will increase the chance of it being created. You seem to have similar views so it would be a shame if you didn't.
Forgive me; but this seems very similar to the MHOC's TSR Liberal Party, I doubt the Speaker would accept the proposal.

If this does fail (believe me when I say forming a new party is a gargantuan feat); then I will tag in the Liberal Party leader, Paracosm, to discuss a potential membership with you, should you opt to join them.

Welcome to the MHOC in any case!
LifeIsFine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,
It is admirable that you wish to create your own party, however I feel this centrist pragmatic party you look for already exists- the liberals. I personally don't believe your party's policies will be sufficiently different to my own, and therefore I do not think you should create it. In addition, Macron himself is quite right leaning on the poicital compass, having put in free market reforms while economy minister, perhaps the libertarians should also be of interest.
I wish you luck in your MHoC future, but I believe it should be part of either of these parties, at least to start with.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Do you have any experience in the MHoc? Have you been an mp or held a chair position in a party? You may want to get some experience before you form a completely new party
Saunders16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree that your views probably align with the Liberal Party.

Welcome!
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'll join your party. I just need to know what some of your policies are and would like a certain degree of power in shaping party policy.
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
Do you have any experience in the MHoc? Have you been an mp or held a chair position in a party? You may want to get some experience before you form a completely new party
I am new to the MHoC but I wanted to float the idea of a new party and hopefully recruit some members with more experience and see what happens. Its not a solid party proposal, its just an idea at the moment.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am new to the MHoC but I wanted to float the idea of a new party and hopefully recruit some members with more experience and see what happens. Its not a solid party proposal, its just an idea at the moment.
If you need help just PM me and ill assist anyway i can
jacobosborne
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2017)
I'll join your party. I just need to know what some of your policies are and would like a certain degree of power in shaping party policy.
I would be willing to share out power as long as the main idea of the party is how I imagine it. I'm still working on policy ideas but I would welcome some suggestions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads