Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I live in Sweden and I am thinking about applying to Cambridge. But after reading a little in their prospectus, I have understood, that since my first language is not English, I will have to take the IELTS exam. My question is, do I have to take this exam before I apply, or is it just a condition I need to fulfil, if I am able to achieve an offer?

ReputationRep:
    hi! I'm from Spain. Although I dont need to do any of this exams because I'm following the English Educational System, I'm taking the Proficiency exam in English of Cambridge next June... I just put it in the list where you put the exams that you havent taken yet but you will before university. So, you do not have to take it before (i reckon) as long as you put that you will take it and when.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linnea)
    Hi.
    I live in Sweden and I am thinking about applying to Cambridge. But after reading a little in their prospectus, I have understood, that since my first language is not English, I will have to take the IELTS exam. My question is, do I have to take this exam before I apply, or is it just a condition I need to fulfil, if I am able to achieve an offer?
    Hej

I think you'll be all right if you've done English at school. Which course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Guess you'd better take it before, but do check it with the admission tutor.

Anyway, don't worry. it's not very hard to fulfill Cambridge's requirement, not like LSE. I got a Band 7 when I first tried IELTS before I came to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxyStar)
    Guess you'd better take it before, but do check it with the admission tutor.

Anyway, don't worry. it's not very hard to fulfill Cambridge's requirement, not like LSE. I got a Band 7 when I first tried IELTS before I came to the UK.
    :confused: though they have the same requirement.
    Be awear that King's College asks for a Band 7.5 (that's exactly what i got )and i think at least 7 for writting & reading respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    U can take this exam either before u apply or after u get a condition offer in which unis would ask u to achieve a certain required score. It doesn't really matter. Lots of my friends take it after they get the offer. Plus if u could manage straight As in ur a-level especially with writting-loads subjects like Business i would presume that u can get at least 7. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yumi)
    :confused: though they have the same requirement.
    Be awear that King's College asks for a Band 7.5 (that's exactly what i got )and i think at least 7 for writting & reading respectively.
    serious??? I once thought that I'd like to choose King's to avoid Step, but now... definitely no... there's no way for me to get a 7 in writing though I do business... I always get really nervous in exam condition for writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxyStar)
    serious??? I once thought that I'd like to choose King's to avoid Step, but now... definitely no... there's no way for me to get a 7 in writing though I do business... I always get really nervous in exam condition for writing.
    Humm... I'm not quite sure where i saw the 7-in-writting,maybe it's LSE that asks for it? (see, when u've read far too many prospectus...)
    check out the site.
    that's for Cam in general
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...plying01i.html
    tha's for King's
    http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/admission...e/underfaq.php

I got nervous in exams as well,especially in Business exams, believe or not... And i always end up with a shaking hand...
    But in the case of IELTS i think u'r gonna be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    The first-language-not-English rule is not hard and fast, I think. My first language was not English, and, reading their FAQ, I was dismayed at the prospect (read 'cost') of having to take the IELTS. However, in the end, it was not specified as a condition of admission, so I never took it. This might have been because I completed my undergraduate degree at an Australian university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    hi! I'm from Spain. Although I dont need to do any of this exams because I'm following the English Educational System, I'm taking the Proficiency exam in English of Cambridge next June... I just put it in the list where you put the exams that you havent taken yet but you will before university. So, you do not have to take it before (i reckon) as long as you put that you will take it and when.

Why are you following the English Educational System?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    The first-language-not-English rule is not hard and fast, I think. My first language was not English, and, reading their FAQ, I was dismayed at the prospect (read 'cost') of having to take the IELTS. However, in the end, it was not specified as a condition of admission, so I never took it. This might have been because I completed my undergraduate degree at an Australian university.
    Similar situation for me. English isn't my native tongue, but I did my BA in England. However, I did IELTS back in 2001 before coming to the UK in the first place, so I just sent them my results from back then in case they insisted on it (and my average back then was 8.5, so I seriously wouldn't have spent loads of money on doing it again - even though they're only supposed to be valid for two years).

ReputationRep:
    It would be better to wait till you have received your offers before taking it (unless you already have). Not everyone requires IELTS. It depends on your college, and perhaps your interview(?)
    I did A levels in Malaysia, where English isn't the first language (although it is for me :rolleyes: ) and I wasn't required IELTS. In fact, 2 out of 6 of my UCAS choices did not need it. Cam and IC, so all is well, and I save the rather hefty bill

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.