Should I Get NHS Jaw Surgery? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Although I never had a problem with my face before, my dentist told me about a year ago I have an overbite and would need invasive jaw surgery to correct my face just so I would be allowed to get braces. I never wanted this surgery, all I wanted was braces but my dentist and orthodontist both said the only way I can get braces is to have this done.

My dentist at the time also made a comment about last year in which he said 'You're a girl, looks are important' in reference to me being unsure about the surgery which I took as him saying I'm currently ugly without surgery. I'm incredibly insecure with the way I look and think back to this comment often. In fact I would say this comment along with other things I dislike about my appearance has caused me a lot of emotional trouble over the last year or so.

Today my friends were talking about braces and I explained my situation to which one friend said they agreed I had an overbite (and she ummed and urred when I asked her if it looked bad) which made me think back to the dentists comments and how horrible I look all over again. I get very jealouse of my friends with braces and it hurt to hear them say that when I'd tried to convince myself getting this surgery didn't matter. I'm fairly sure I don't have much time before this procedure is no longer free to me but I am also in a very important time at school in which I cannot afford to take time off and miss out (the surgery has a very long recovery process from what I've heard and would surely interfere with my exams).

I'm also unsure about how overbite jaw surgery works and how it will make me look. When I put my jaw forward I think it doesn't look very nice but everyone I've heard talk about this procedure has said they much prefer the way they look after (is it perhaps more complex than just putting your jaw forward?).

Do I not get the surgery and continue to hate myself or fail my school work?
Has anybody had this done and how was it?
fgbjfgbg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you know i am in the same exact situation as you, except i have an underbite. i was planning on not getting it done but i changed my mind because i know a few people who have done it and i have loads of professional dentist in my family who advised me that this surgery is safe and very successful. recovery is tough though, but the ending results are usually very good. it would help you way of speaking, eating, looks and it makes your whole face for balanced. i think you should rlly think about it first because there are a few sides effects such a numbing, which usually is only temporary
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Although I never had a problem with my face before, my dentist told me about a year ago I have an overbite and would need invasive jaw surgery to correct my face just so I would be allowed to get braces. I never wanted this surgery, all I wanted was braces but my dentist and orthodontist both said the only way I can get braces is to have this done.

My dentist at the time also made a comment about last year in which he said 'You're a girl, looks are important' in reference to me being unsure about the surgery which I took as him saying I'm currently ugly without surgery. I'm incredibly insecure with the way I look and think back to this comment often. In fact I would say this comment along with other things I dislike about my appearance has caused me a lot of emotional trouble over the last year or so.

Today my friends were talking about braces and I explained my situation to which one friend said they agreed I had an overbite (and she ummed and urred when I asked her if it looked bad) which made me think back to the dentists comments and how horrible I look all over again. I get very jealouse of my friends with braces and it hurt to hear them say that when I'd tried to convince myself getting this surgery didn't matter. I'm fairly sure I don't have much time before this procedure is no longer free to me but I am also in a very important time at school in which I cannot afford to take time off and miss out (the surgery has a very long recovery process from what I've heard and would surely interfere with my exams).

I'm also unsure about how overbite jaw surgery works and how it will make me look. When I put my jaw forward I think it doesn't look very nice but everyone I've heard talk about this procedure has said they much prefer the way they look after (is it perhaps more complex than just putting your jaw forward?).

Do I not get the surgery and continue to hate myself or fail my school work?
Has anybody had this done and how was it?
If I remember rightly then an overbite means you're lacking a bit in the chin area?

A friend of mine had the opposite (underbite) and she went from being (in her words) - gawky and 'interesting' to gorgeous. It made such a massive difference.

The surgery not only changed the shape of her chin, but the realigning of her face meant that her cheekbones were more prominent and also her posture looks much better.

If the dentists are recommending dealing with it - it's probably due to overcrowding or gappy teeth. If they give you braces it will sort it but within 3 years they will just go back to how they are now. Whereas if you get your jaw fixed this is you set up for life.

If it's not costing you anything I'd do it to be honest. Life's too short to be self conscious.
physicsamor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg I might have to get this done too!! I have like an overbite but she things my asymmetry is just something I picked up by habit so we are seeing if braces fix the jaw.

Anyone who is knowledgeable, this may be a funny question but would it alter your nose shape, like make it bigger or something?

I'm scared to get this done especially as I'll be in uni lool
Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As you haven't provided much detail about the severity of your overbite, it is difficult to say how much of a difference surgery would make to your appearance; however a quick google of "overbite jaw surgery before and after" brings up a multitude of images that may show you potential results of surgery. The first image that came up with the search was this : http://mcgannfacialdesign.com/wp-con...CMontez_BA.png which can give you an idea of what surgery can do for a particularly severe example of overbite.

A friend of mine had this surgery done a few summers ago, and I can confirm to you that it is not a simple or easy operation at all. Right afterwards there will be pain and blood - you'll look like you've been hit by a bus. You'll also be on a liquid diet for a couple of months afterwards - braces with elastic bands will be applied to your teeth to prevent you from using your jaw whilst the bone heals, so you'll essentially be living through a straw. There will be a lot of facial swelling. It will probably take about 6 months - 1 year for your jaw to fully heal. However, despite all of this, you should end up with a jaw that causes less trouble for you (eg with chewing, talking etc) and maybe more aesthetically pleasing.

You must weigh up the pros and cons. I would be wary of going through such an ordeal if the reasons for it are purely cosmetic; however if you really do struggle with day-to-day tasks such as eating and talking, then perhaps surgery should be considered more seriously.

Don't let nasty comments from your peers alter your decisions. Also, I can't say I'm happy with the way the dentist handled it - to make such a comment is unprofessional, and the fact it's affected you so much makes me concerned with things he may have told other patients.

You should only take the surgery if you, not other people, truly believe it will make a positive difference to your quality of life.
Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by physicsamor)
Omg I might have to get this done too!! I have like an overbite but she things my asymmetry is just something I picked up by habit so we are seeing if braces fix the jaw.

Anyone who is knowledgeable, this may be a funny question but would it alter your nose shape, like make it bigger or something?

I'm scared to get this done especially as I'll be in uni lool
It depends on the nature of the surgery - but in short, yes it is possible that it could alter your nose shape. My friend needed alterations to both her upper and lower jaw, and her nose changed - it wasnt drastic, it was extremely subtle. It didn't look bigger, and it didn't look bad at all - it just looked different.
physicsamor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bezoar)
It depends on the nature of the surgery - but in short, yes it is possible that it could alter your nose shape. My friend needed alterations to both her upper and lower jaw, and her nose changed - it wasnt drastic, it was extremely subtle. It didn't look bigger, and it didn't look bad at all - it just looked different.
Thank you that's insightful! I still have a year or so before we make any decisions. I'm hoping the braces do the trick tho
caryss375
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i have the exact same problem. i want braces to fix my teeth, but the orthodontist said that i have an underbite and that in order to straighten my teeth i’d need to get jaw surgery. all of my friends have braces and it makes me thinks of how unfair it is that they’ve all been able to get theirs so quickly with hardly anything wrong with their teeth, whereas i feel insecure about my teeth daily and i need jaw surgery to fix them. when i went to the hospital they told me the surgery would make me look more attractive, which made me feel more insecure about my current apprearence. i know this post is from a year ago, so did you go ahead with the surgery? how is everything now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads