The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The driver delivering it is supposed to ask for ID when the box states it's got age restricted contents.

From experience, however, they do not. I don't know whether this is specific to my area (rushed drivers don't have time) or because I'm lucky enough to look over 18 - who knows?
Never been asked for id, i doubt the couriers are bothered.
On the amazon flex app it will inform the driver to ask for ID and get a signature

But most of the time they will probably just say you look over 25 as it saves time...
Reply 4
Original post by 0x0luke
If i was to order something which requires you to be over 18, will they ask for ID?

I am under 18, have ordered many items from them and haven't been asked for ID once because mainly the couriers don't know what is in the box if it is a game, and so won't have any reason to question the item.
Cheers,

It doesn't really matter much as i'm 18 in 2 weeks anyway but with a few parties coming up before my 18th i'm gonna need to order stuff from amazon

Thanks a lot.
Reply 6
When I was under 18 and liked to enjoy smoking cigarettes, I decided to chance it and order a vaping kit online - since I didn't have many reliable people to supply me locally with conventional tobacco (which is gross anyway..).

Got a ring at the door, signed it and that was it... No ID required, unlike the strict shopkeepers.

Although this was about 3 years ago when the laws about vaping were sketchy. But I would 'risk' it.

What's the worst that could happen? The desperate delivery guy who has a lorry load of deliveries to do says 'NO' and you get a refund from amazon?

Life's too short!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 0x0luke
If i was to order something which requires you to be over 18, will they ask for ID?

Damn just ordered a vape on amazon, hoping the carrier wont check
Reply 8
this is why the yute's them keep getting stabbed

kids ordering sh*t online they shouldn't be........... [knife's]
Original post by ANM775
this is why the yute's them keep getting stabbed

kids ordering sh*t online they shouldn't be........... [knife's]

dw fam, i can take care of myself.. i just wanna quite smokin ****..
Doubt they will check. Couriers don’t give a ****.
Reply 11
Original post by Andrew97
Doubt they will check. Couriers don’t give a ****.

We do. Amazon regularly use mystery shoppers to test us.
They don't get paid enough to give a ****.
Reply 13
Original post by NotNotBatman
They don't get paid enough to give a ****.

When you can be out of a job for being negligent, you don't risk asking for ID...
Original post by IWMTom
When you can be out of a job for being negligent, you don't risk asking for ID...

They know nothing is going to happen if they give an age restricted product to a 16 year old for example.
Reply 15
They know nothing is going to happen if they give an age restricted product to a 16 year old for example.

Unless that 16 year old is a mystery shopper that Amazon has brought in...

We never know whether we're being tested or not - if we don't follow Challenge 25, we're terminated from the platform with no appeal.
Original post by IWMTom
Unless that 16 year old is a mystery shopper that Amazon has brought in...

We never know whether we're being tested or not - if we don't follow Challenge 25, we're terminated from the platform with no appeal.

But the chances of this happening is so low, that's why they don't ask for ID.

Hardly any places I know enforce challenge 25 other than supermarkets. I'm talking about what actually happens rather than the rules.
Reply 17
But the chances of this happening is so low, that's why they don't ask for ID.

Hardly any places I know enforce challenge 25 other than supermarkets. I'm talking about what actually happens rather than the rules.

I literally deliver for Amazon and you're trying to tell me we don't ask for ID? You're mental, mate.

It's rare that anyone looks younger than 25, and in that event it takes a few seconds to check their ID... a few seconds isn't worth losing your source of income.
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
I literally deliver for Amazon and you're trying to tell me we don't ask for ID? You're mental, mate.

It's rare that anyone looks younger than 25, and in that event it takes a few seconds to check their ID... a few seconds isn't worth losing your source of income.

The people who deliver from Amazon don't even know what's in the package a lot of the time. I sometimes order age restricted games from Amazon and usually they'll just leave it at my door or post it through the letterbox.

The package usually has no indication of what's actually inside..
I know someone under 18 who ordered a penknife from America. His mum got a phone call from UK customs who had checked the contents of the package. They wanted to know if she knew what he had ordered, and was she ok with it?

Latest