The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
Did it really take you a week to compose that answer? :laugh:

It's absolutely no ****ing different :laugh: :laugh:

You 've been babbling the same thing and any more smileys and you will need to be committed. :rolleyes:

Original post by Admit-One
Card schemes, (Visa, MasterCard etc.), have been pushing for ID checks on receipt of age restricted items for years. It is absolutely not Amazon ‘trying it on’. I’m amazed it’s still as haphazard as it is.

The state has been dealing with business to do this informally but why would card companies do that? Do you have any articles to show this?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
You 've been babbling the same thing and any more smileys and you will need to be committed. :rolleyes:

Put ya tin foil hat on my dude incase the 5G gets ya :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Original post by TheStupidMoon
The state has been dealing with business to do this informally but why would card companies do that? Do you have any articles to show this?

Nominally, brand protection. They don’t want their multi billion dollar brands associated with Little Jimmy having a bad reaction to a cheap e-cig or going on some spree of violence fuelled by cream liqueurs bought online with their cards.

Coincidentally is also a massive money spinner for them.

Section 5.12.17 of the MasterCard rules. “Illegal or Brand-Damaging Transactions”. Essentially they have sole discretion to determine what is brand damaging to them and reserve the right to fine the acquirer (who provides merchant facilities) $200,000 per offence. It used to be my job to try and defend these fines. It was as much fun as it sounds.

(It’s a big pdf, around page 112. You’ll note that it is very non-specific about exactly what is brand damaging, that’s deliberate)

https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/global/documents/mastercard-rules.pdf

Weirdly I got ID’d for an Amazon delivery only today. They needed to see my drivers licence before they’d hand over some booze.
same

Latest

Trending

Trending