Preparation for Oxbridge admissions Watch

mali298
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Morning All,
I am a other of two teenagers,who are going to be year 9 and 10 soon.Both go to state grammar school.I was wondering,how i can help them preparing for Oxbridge admissions.I understand the admission criteria can be strict for both uni's.What should be the strategy and approach in studies and extra-curricular activities. Do they need to attend extra lessons and what should they aim for in GCSE's result(how many A's,B's).As a parent and student point of view,please guide me how I can help them and how they can help and excel themselves.The schools don't offer much help/support to the students,that's why I am asking for some better advice.
Thanks in advance,
Mrs Ali
king_english
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mali298)
Morning All,
I am a other of two teenagers,who are going to be year 9 and 10 soon.Both go to state grammar school.I was wondering,how i can help them preparing for Oxbridge admissions.I understand the admission criteria can be strict for both uni's.What should be the strategy and approach in studies and extra-curricular activities. Do they need to attend extra lessons and what should they aim for in GCSE's result(how many A's,B's).As a parent and student point of view,please guide me how I can help them and how they can help and excel themselves.The schools don't offer much help/support to the students,that's why I am asking for some better advice.
Thanks in advance,
Mrs Ali
Dear Mrs Ali,

They really shouldn't be worrying about Oxbridge right now. Most people don't even think about applying to Oxbridge until after they have their GCSE results or when they are well into year 12. If they're in year 8 and 9, even more so for the reason not to worry... But in terms of GCSE results, there is no standard requirement for the number of A*s, although if you are to have a chance (remember it's extremely competitive) then they'll need around about 7A*s or more, with the rest As... But really that's years away if they're in year8/9 And there's no need for extra-curricular activities really, only worth mentioning tbh if they are undeniably relevant, in which case you can put them on their personal statement (when they eventually get to Year 13). Hope this helped.
mali298
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by king_english)
Dear Mrs Ali,

They really shouldn't be worrying about Oxbridge right now. Most people don't even think about applying to Oxbridge until after they have their GCSE results or when they are well into year 12. If they're in year 8 and 9, even more so for the reason not to worry... But in terms of GCSE results, there is no standard requirement for the number of A*s, although if you are to have a chance (remember it's extremely competitive) then they'll need around about 7A*s or more, with the rest As... But really that's years away if they're in year8/9 And there's no need for extra-curricular activities really, only worth mentioning tbh if they are undeniably relevant, in which case you can put them on their personal statement (when they eventually get to Year 13). Hope this helped.
Thanks for reassurance king_english. Much appreciated.

Regards
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads