Open University - Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT - Study Books?

Watch
Teapot69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I've enrolled with open university to take the higher education in computing and IT course. If all goes all well i will attempt to go the route of diploma > degree. I've been out of education for 20 years, i really should have taken this type of course years ago.

The course i have enrolled in doesnt start until October. I was hoping somebody who has taken the course or anybody could offer advice on study books or learning materials, something that i can study now which will help when the course starts?

Can anybody offer an insight into areas i could be learning now via videos or books etc that would prepare me for the course?

I appreciate all the help
Many Thanks!

These are the first 2 modules of the course:

Compulsory modules (90 credits)

• Introduction to computing and information technology 1 (TM111)
  • Introduction to computing and information technology 2 (TM112)
JamesMoonUK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Teapot69I to believe the TM111 and TM112 are new modules this year so no student will have any experiences dealing with them, I have how ever made a thread in our temporary forums about the information I have uncovered on TM111 https://learn1.open.ac.uk/mod/forumng/discuss.php?d=86901

regards to TM112.
Block 1 :
will be advancing knowledge from tm111 , which topics such as binary and why its used, which will lead to Hardware. which in turn leads to a better understanding on whats in fact going on 'under the hood'
Block 2:
language of choice here is python, you will learn how to analyse with python and complete a small project
Block 3:
This blocks focus is on security and dealing with cyber crime i would guess this is only going to be a introduction.

Reading this from http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/tm112 if you wanted to check it out yourself.
I also am enrolling on the same modules as yourself in October starting TM111 and then leading into TM112 , although i was also thinking of picking up MU124 at the same time as TM112 depending on how i find work load. I will be happy to help if i at all can
Niknaknoo10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How have you got on with the tm111 and tm112 i have just enrolled
gikster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I am starting this in October so am also looking at information, books, short courses etc that could get me started in the meantime.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gikster)
Hello, I am starting this in October so am also looking at information, books, short courses etc that could get me started in the meantime.
Harvard have got a very good free online course which introduces computer science and computational thinking (problem solving with a programming language) called CS50 - october should be plenty of time to get through all of the problem sets:
https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-int...harvardx-cs50x
(ignore the paid certificate option, you don't need that)
Cm89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How are you guys getting on with this course? I am 6 years into my career having graduated with an economics & politics degree in 2012. I have no specific IT background other than general knowledge accumulated through using computers in education and every day at work. Generally speaking, do you think it would be ambitious for someone with this background to tackle this course? Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (60)
29.27%
No (145)
70.73%

Watched Threads