Mot difficult subject? Easy - Computing! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...s/00table1.pdf

Maths, physics and chemistry is a doddle compared to Computing. Hardly anyone gets a good grade compared to nearly every other subject.
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...s/00table1.pdf

Maths, physics and chemistry is a doddle compared to Computing. Hardly anyone gets a good grade compared to nearly every other subject.
I'd agree that Computing is a hard A Level compared to most after doing it myself and how my friend performed. However from what I have heard and seen, Maths is harder than Computing. I think what helps maths in pass rates is that Maths A Level has a reputation of being difficult so less able students will avoid it. When it comes to Computing it doesn't seem to have that reputation creating the pitfalls for less abled students. Alot of people I know that didn't do well at Computing seemed to assume Computing would be exactly like normal IT when they first started. The fact of the matter is Computing is less to do with knowing the parts of a computer and the use of windows. It is more to do with the understanding of how a computer works at the hardware and software level be it how the CPU operates and programming etc..
In any case its really perception but I do feel that many are mislead as to exactly what Computing A Level is about when they first start.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Koloth)
I'd agree that Computing is a hard A Level compared to most after doing it myself and how my friend performed. However from what I have heard and seen, Maths is harder than Computing. I think what helps maths in pass rates is that Maths A Level has a reputation of being difficult so less able students will avoid it. When it comes to Computing it doesn't seem to have that reputation creating the pitfalls for less abled students. Alot of people I know that didn't do well at Computing seemed to assume Computing would be exactly like normal IT when they first started. The fact of the matter is Computing is less to do with knowing the parts of a computer and the use of windows. It is more to do with the understanding of how a computer works at the hardware and software level be it how the CPU operates and programming etc..
In any case its really perception but I do feel that many are mislead as to exactly what Computing A Level is about when they first start.
I agree.. I think the reason why pass rates aren't exceptionally good for Computing is because students enrol for the course thinking it's going to be just like ICT at GCSE, when, in fact, it's something totally different. Many students in my AS year failed the course, and although the teaching wasn't exceptional, most people just lost interest because it wasn't what they'd intended to do. Learning a programming language is vital to the course, and for students who previously have had no experience with computing as such find it very difficult indeed.

I believe, out of an AS year of around 60, half of those had dropped out by before the June examinations, and the remaining half failed the exams. As far as I know there was one A, and several who just scraped by on modest marks.

The course isn't properly defined by many institutions, and the preliminary view in students eyes is that it's just another easy A Level.
Amorya
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I concur that Maths was harder than Computing. Personally, I found computing a lot of work, but easy enough if you put the time into it. Whereas maths, I actually couldn't grasp some of the concepts no matter how hard I tried.

Amorya
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hated ICT at GCSE level. If I had known that computing was about hardware and processing, rather than "how to use a spreadsheet", I would have taken it.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I hated ICT at GCSE level. If I had known that computing was about hardware and processing, rather than "how to use a spreadsheet", I would have taken it.
yeah me too maybe
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didnt revise nowhere near as much as I should, or work as hard as I should have throughout the year and I found computing to be the easiest of all 4 of my AS levels, maths, physics, chemistry and computing was the only one I got a clean A in.

Cept I didnt do OCR, wheres the AQA tables
mrmarsupial
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/...e-prov-M03.pdf

was pretty similar for aqa too, interesting
Memento
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My college did very very bad in computing theory also, just thought it was worth pointing out, me and MrMarsupial, the above poster got 100/105 in CPT2 :P Although i got a C overall in computing

But anyway, i do actually think computing is the hardest subject for alot of people based on MY OWN COLLEGES pass rate of 40%, the lowest of all subjects. Personally i love it, it's the only subject i can get a great grade on without any work *sigh* i wish i'd revised.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Memento)
My college did very very bad in computing theory also, just thought it was worth pointing out, me and MrMarsupial, the above poster got 100/105 in CPT2 :P Although i got a C overall in computing

But anyway, i do actually think computing is the hardest subject for alot of people based on MY OWN COLLEGES pass rate of 40%, the lowest of all subjects. Personally i love it, it's the only subject i can get a great grade on without any work *sigh* i wish i'd revised.
My college did bad in it, too! I had to learn half the syllabus myself, while my tutors were teaching A2 module stuff to the rest of the class.

I plan to make a complaint.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads