S.Sage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How did everybody find it? It was unlike any of the past papers. Do you think the grade boundaries will be high or low?

Did anyone know how do answer the distance Q on the Cepheid Variable? I thought we would have to use the formula M=m+5-5 log d but the syllabus clearly states that we do not need to know how to find the distance.
abc-10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you wsgould give up and just study somethink like math cauise math can get you a long way in life I used to study it but then my teafcher left and now I just play gamees this is wot happensd when yo pick uncommon subjects
S.Sage
Rep:
?
(Original post by abc-10)
I think you wsgould give up and just study somethink like math cauise math can get you a long way in life I used to study it but then my teafcher left and now I just play gamees this is wot happensd when yo pick uncommon subjects
I picked Astronomy because I love the subject. I can say it's by far my favorite GCSE subject I have done. It was very interesting and fun to learn about. I'm already doing maths, Further Maths and beginning to study A-level Maths in Year 10 because I love maths as well. If I get a bad grade, then so be it. I loved the course and do not regret it at all. It is uncommon but I do not see why I cannot pick a subject simply because other people do not do so.
meg.s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought the paper was quite hard. I ended up just using the formula in the exam but think I realised how they wanted us to do it afterwards:
If apparent and absolute mag were the same then the star would be at 10pc.
But the apparent mag was 3 magnitudes less than absolute magnitude so the brightness difference would be around 16.
Therefore the star would be around 4 x further away than 10pc (due to inverse square law) and so 40pc.
I got the same answer with the formula - tell me if you think it's right. Hopefully they'll give me some marks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
S.Sage
Rep:
?
(Original post by meg.s)
I thought the paper was quite hard. I ended up just using the formula in the exam but think I realised how they wanted us to do it afterwards:
If apparent and absolute mag were the same then the star would be at 10pc.
But the apparent mag was 3 magnitudes less than absolute magnitude so the brightness difference would be around 16.
Therefore the star would be around 4 x further away than 10pc (due to inverse square law) and so 40pc.
I got the same answer with the formula - tell me if you think it's right. Hopefully they'll give me some marks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg how did I miss that?? 😂😭😂 Don't worry they have to give you marks for that. Nobody I know did that question. I just left it blank.

The paper wasn't hard as much as confusing. Most of the time I couldn't understand what the question was asking me to do. They better give us low grade boundaries or I swear... 😂😭😂
meg.s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope so
You're right - it took me so long to realise one of the photos was actually of the aurora

Posted from TSR Mobile
confusedgeorge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
all the nerds at my school went off on one about the cepheid variable question, I just randomly tapped my calculator for half an hour and I somehow made it to 40 Pc
SBizzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by S.Sage)
How did everybody find it? It was unlike any of the past papers. Do you think the grade boundaries will be high or low?

Did anyone know how do answer the distance Q on the Cepheid Variable? I thought we would have to use the formula M=m+5-5 log d but the syllabus clearly states that we do not need to know how to find the distance.
I think I did pretty bad, it was so hard but hopefully they lower boundaries. Good luck to everyone!
hazyhobbit
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For that question I used trial and error by putting in values for d, and I eventually solved it I think. It was quite a weird question to throw at us, but again I suppose it is the last year of the exam.
MAXW303
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone doing it this year?
MAXW303
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, does anyone have the papers
MAXW303
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just seen that calculation question for the cepheid variable distance. After looking at previous years papers it was rather different and unusual compared to previous magnitude questions. Although quite challenging, I think its rather nice that they combined magnitudes with the inverse square law and the 10pc rule.
Very nice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed