The Student Room Group

Math or computer science or both

I'm undecided on which to do. I keep wavering between these two. I've considered a joint degree, but reading around I've read it would be better to do a single degree.

I just think computer science would be a great degree to study because of how useful it is - everything is based on technology and it will only become more so in the future.
If you're gonna do a compsci degree, do something math related in it like AI.
We already have enough code monkeys, the world needs more mathematicians in the tech industry.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I'm undecided on which to do. I keep wavering between these two. I've considered a joint degree, but reading around I've read it would be better to do a single degree.

I just think computer science would be a great degree to study because of how useful it is - everything is based on technology and it will only become more so in the future.

I'm considering applying for either the joint maths and computer science degree or maths so I'm going to visit lots of open days and see which looks best for me. It may end up that I apply for maths at some and maths and computer science at the others :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Integer123
It may end up that I apply for maths at some and maths and computer science at the others :smile:

That's what I am planning to do as well.
Reply 4

Why do you think it would be better to do a single degree?
Original post by JickDee
That's what I am planning to do as well.

Good choice! :smile:
Original post by JickDee
Why do you think it would be better to do a single degree?

I've heard a joint degree isn't as strong as just doing a single. I've haven't researched this enough, but I'm assuming if you did a joint degree you wouldn't be able to do actuary. I'm not really sure and haven't been able to find much on people who have done both.
Reply 7
I've heard a joint degree isn't as strong as just doing a single. I've haven't researched this enough, but I'm assuming if you did a joint degree you wouldn't be able to do actuary. I'm not really sure and haven't been able to find much on people who have done both.

You can definitely do actuary with a joint degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JickDee
You can definitely do actuary with a joint degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you done a joint degree in both?

I've been thinking a joint degree would be best. But I'm scared that I won't be as good at either subject if I study a joint. But I'm thinking that if I committed a lot to studying more stuff in my own time I could make up for it.

I'm leaning towards a joint degree to be honest.
Reply 9
Have you done a joint degree in both?

I've been thinking a joint degree would be best. But I'm scared that I won't be as good at either subject if I study a joint. But I'm thinking that if I committed a lot to studying more stuff in my own time I could make up for it.

I'm leaning towards a joint degree to be honest.

I haven't done one but I am planning to do a Maths/CS joint degree. You obviously won't cover as many maths topics as a Maths graduate or as many CS topics as a CS graduate but you will cover the core topics of each subject so for each topic you will go as much into depth as you would with a single degree but you won't cover as many topics in each subject. Depending on the uni, you will have a lot of options regarding your module choices so if you want to concentrate on maths you could do like 75% maths and 25% CS. Maths and CS complement each other anyway and many would argue that doing maths could make you a better computer scientist. What universities are you planning to apply to and what topics do you want to cover in CS?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
Do maths degree then do some programming on the side. Most people going for programming jobs don't even have a computer science degree or a relavent science ie maths
Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't a bad idea either. Regarding your second point, whilst many programmers don't have related degrees, it is becoming more competitive and if you want one of the better software/CS related jobs then a CS/maths/physics/engineering degree is highly preferred if not required (and preferably masters/PhD too). Tbh I wouldn't do a CS degree by itself unless it's at a top uni as most unis don't teach it very well and it may be harder to get into actuary (which I think you're considering). I'd do Maths or Maths&CS.
Original post by JickDee
This isn't a bad idea either. Regarding your second point, whilst many programmers don't have related degrees, it is becoming more competitive and if you want one of the better software/CS related jobs then a CS/maths/physics/engineering degree is highly preferred if not required (and preferably masters/PhD too). Tbh I wouldn't do a CS degree by itself unless it's at a top uni as most unis don't teach it very well and it may be harder to get into actuary (which I think you're considering). I'd do Maths or Maths&CS.

I've considered doing maths and teaching myself programming, but I feel like I wouldn't be nearly as competent as someone who has just done computer science alone.

Job wise, I'm hoping to go into the tech industry. As what exactly, i'm not sure I just feel like the sector is growing. Which universities would you classify as top? I was thinking about places like Durham or Sheffield.

Original post by JickDee
I haven't done one but I am planning to do a Maths/CS joint degree. You obviously won't cover as many maths topics as a Maths graduate or as many CS topics as a CS graduate but you will cover the core topics of each subject so for each topic you will go as much into depth as you would with a single degree but you won't cover as many topics in each subject. Depending on the uni, you will have a lot of options regarding your module choices so if you want to concentrate on maths you could do like 75% maths and 25% CS. Maths and CS complement each other anyway and many would argue that doing maths could make you a better computer scientist. What universities are you planning to apply to and what topics do you want to cover in CS?

What's your reason for wanting to do a joint degree between the two?

What universities have you considered doing your joint degree at? Most of the ones I look at tend focus solely around math and have modules on programming.

The universities i'm interested in are Durham, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, Sheffield and Southampton.

In terms of topics AI, cryptography and computer security have caught my interest.
(edited 6 years ago)
There is no negative to doing a joint degree in these subjects; they complement each other well, and as noted there are a lot of programmers around (who have or have not done a degree) and not so many actual computer scientists who have as strong a grasp on the abstract foundations of CS. Both are necessary to an extent, but the latter skill set is rarer (and does not necessarily preclude the former skill set).

You could also do e.g. CS with Maths Part I at Cambridge, continuing on in CS; you would get a better mathematical foundation than the average CS graduate but still have an extensive background in both practical and theoretical computer science from the main CS course. Similarly Durham's Nat Sci course is relatively flexible (and has options for both maths and CS, as well as others) so you can vary the focus between the two or switch to a single honours.

Warwick has a Discrete Mathematics degree which is ostensibly a maths degree but focused on the relevant areas to theoretical computer science and decision sciences. They also have a new Data Science course, which is more statistically oriented but has a strong computing component, and is quite relevant for both tech and finance roles. UCL also has a somewhat similar in some respects course to the Discrete Mathematics one in it's Mathematical Computation degree; this is more of a CS degree with a significant component of higher mathematics (specifically the abstract algebra courses from the single honours maths degree).

The "top" universities, or "elite" universities in this area would generally be Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, and Edinburgh and Durham lagging a little behind those. Sheffield is also a good option, particularly on the engineering/computing side. You may also wish to consider Southampton, which has an excellent CS department and very good maths department, which I believe has a Maths with CS course, and also has a Mathematical Studies degree which is a more flexible version of the single honours maths degree, having fewer required courses and more scope to take modules outside of the main discipline (in your case likely mathematics).

Birmingham, Bristol, and Bath are all excellent in for these areas as well. Some relevant courses you may wish to look into are Engineering Mathematics at Bristol, or if enjoy physics as well as maths and are interested in computing, the Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics course at Birmingham which has an option to "intercalate" a year on the Computer Science degree (although this extends the length of the course by a year).

However if your interest is in the technology sector, and you don't have an enduring love of fundamental mathematics you may find yourself burning out a bit during a mathematics course; it's a lot to take in, and pretty hardcore stuff. If you enjoy more mathematical and quantitative techniques but your primary interest is in technology and computing, I would suggest looking at CS courses, and seeing if they have scope to take additional mathematics modules as options for example.
I've considered doing maths and teaching myself programming, but I feel like I wouldn't be nearly as competent as someone who has just done computer science alone.

Job wise, I'm hoping to go into the tech industry. As what exactly, i'm not sure I just feel like the sector is growing. Which universities would you classify as top? I was thinking about places like Durham or Sheffield.

What's your reason for wanting to do a joint degree between the two?

What universities have you considered doing your joint degree at? Most of the ones I look at tend focus solely around math and have modules on programming.

The universities i'm interested in are Durham, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, Sheffield and Southampton.

In terms of topics AI, cryptography and computer security have caught my interest.

see my PM
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Imperial offer a maths with mathematical computation degree which sounds absolutely fascinating

Quick Reply

Latest