The Student Room Group

Falling more out of favour with university.

Hello,

I am currently in year 13, just finishing my final exams, and as more time goes on, the more stressed I am getting, the more i just cannot bare the thought of going to university. The money isn't an issue, it's just the fact that I am getting bored and pissed off with education as the days pass.

Is/has anyone been in the same boat as me where they do not particularly feel right about going to uni, and instead want to consider going into the armed forces?

Thanks
Original post by SASASPIRER
Hello,

I am currently in year 13, just finishing my final exams, and as more time goes on, the more stressed I am getting, the more i just cannot bare the thought of going to university. The money isn't an issue, it's just the fact that I am getting bored and pissed off with education as the days pass.

Is/has anyone been in the same boat as me where they do not particularly feel right about going to uni, and instead want to consider going into the armed forces?

Thanks

University isn't for everyone. But if it's the stress of studying and deadlines that is switching you off- you're not going to get a break from it in the Armed forces!

Remember you can go to Uni anytime.
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
University isn't for everyone. But if it's the stress of studying and deadlines that is switching you off- you're not going to get a break from it in the Armed forces!

Remember you can go to Uni anytime.

Really, it's the stress from exams, mainly stemming from the fear of failure. Throughout the year, stress has never been a problem and have always met deadlines. I am very well disciplined in this way.

I think I am more of a 'hands-on' person as opposed to academic. I love the outdoors, and describe myself as an adrenaline junkie, so I think the armed forces is probably the right thing for me.

Also I mentioned that I was getting bored of education, which is true. Not sure if I want to spent another potentially 4 years of writing thousands of pages of words to complete countless exams.

My only worry is that if I end up leaving the armed forces, maybe in 2040, after 22 years services (or whatever), where do i go from here? I will only be 41... a degree gives me peace of mind that I have something I can fall back on, which is why I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Really, it's the stress from exams, mainly stemming from the fear of failure. Throughout the year, stress has never been a problem and have always met deadlines. I am very well disciplined in this way.

I think I am more of a 'hands-on' person as opposed to academic. I love the outdoors, and describe myself as an adrenaline junkie, so I think the armed forces is probably the right thing for me.

Also I mentioned that I was getting bored of education, which is true. Not sure if I want to spent another potentially 4 years of writing thousands of pages of words to complete countless exams.

My only worry is that if I end up leaving the armed forces, maybe in 2040, after 22 years services (or whatever), where do i go from here? I will only be 41... a degree gives me peace of mind that I have something I can fall back on, which is why I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

You've got a fair point. And going into the armed forces with a degree opens doors for you as well.

Fear of failure is normal but can really mess with your head!

Could you speak to the Army career service so that you can see what your life would be like in the armed forces with and without a degree? That might be the clincher.
Reply 4
Original post by Friffinghell
You've got a fair point. And going into the armed forces with a degree opens doors for you as well.

Fear of failure is normal but can really mess with your head!

Could you speak to the Army career service so that you can see what your life would be like in the armed forces with and without a degree? That might be the clincher.

I have done so, but I'm still very inconclusive at the moment. I might just let it boil down to results day. :s-smilie:

If I got a degree, it would make it easier for me to apply for an officer role. That being said, all I need for that is 64 UCAS points from a maximum of 3 subjects.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 5
You don't say what degree you were thinking of, but there are plenty of subjects which have a more practical base than just lectures and thousands of words of essays, some of which would also be useful in the army, like engineering. Or you could look at getting a degree level apprenticeship through the army.
I suggest you take a gap year and find time to actually rest and think about wheather uni is for you or not.
Rushing into uni coz everyone else is going straight away might not work for you.
You can always go to uni, but if you drop out when you want to go again it is unlikely the gov will pay for it
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree with the gap year suggestion.

Exams you can avoid at some unis if they are more tailored to coursework than exam, like my uni/subject. But some unis like to have a mix.

But I would suggest you take a gap year if you're not ready to go onto higher education just yet.
Reply 8
Original post by Artjen
You don't say what degree you were thinking of, but there are plenty of subjects which have a more practical base than just lectures and thousands of words of essays, some of which would also be useful in the army, like engineering. Or you could look at getting a degree level apprenticeship through the army.

I'm would be doing a Geology BSc.
Original post by pfdavina
I suggest you take a gap year and find time to actually rest and think about wheather uni is for you or not.
Rushing into uni coz everyone else is going straight away might not work for you.
You can always go to uni, but if you drop out when you want to go again it is unlikely the gov will pay for it

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I agree with the gap year suggestion.

Exams you can avoid at some unis if they are more tailored to coursework than exam, like my uni/subject. But some unis like to have a mix.

But I would suggest you take a gap year if you're not ready to go onto higher education just yet.

How would I take a gap year though? I have already applied and firmed.

thanks

thanks

Either:

A) Go onto your UCAS and click the "defer" for a year before your course starts.
OR
B) Phone up the uni (admissions) and ask if they can change your firm choice to a deferred choice instead.

If it's accepted, you will not have to go to uni in Sept for 2017-18 academic year, and instead, attend in the 2018-19 academic year instead.

thanks

You could now contact the uni and apply for a deferred year, but say it is for travelling or they may say no
I have done so, but I'm still very inconclusive at the moment. I might just let it boil down to results day. :s-smilie:

If I got a degree, it would make it easier for me to apply for an officer role. That being said, all I need for that is 64 UCAS points from a maximum of 3 subjects.

Thanks for your help.

I think sitting tight until results day is a good idea :h:

It's natural to feel fed up in the thick of exams. What do you plan to study at uni?

The apprenticeships with the army look competitive, and more information here on your options after college :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest