The Student Room Group

Is there any point in taking just the FP1 module of Further Maths Edexcel A-level?

I'm in year 12 looking to study Maths and German as a combined degree at university, and the courses don't require Further Maths to be taken. My A-level options are Maths, German, and English literature. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do just the first module of Further Maths, FP1, over the summer, then taking the exam in 2018, as I don't fancy teaching the whole AS to myself. I realise I wouldn't be able to pick up a grade in AS Further Maths, but would I still get a grade in FP1 and then I'd be able to talk about that on my personal statement, and it would give me a little head-start on matrices, complex numbers etc.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks
Not sure why no one has replied to this and it may be too late now but I think it would be a good idea because it shows initiative and also the content of FP1 will help you a lot when it comes to doing maths at uni. Hope this helps :smile:
You can do 1 exam, in theory you can go on to do the AS/A-Level at any point until the spec finishes.

May be worth doing FP2 and an applied module tho (or FP3), for the AS and more prep. Looks good too. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest