rebeccael28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which did everyone find easier? I'm in year 12 and have done my 2 AS and have started work for A2, I can't get my head around A2, I don't understand it compared to AS??

Posted from TSR Mobile
mrbr2671999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I finished AS law the first thing I learned was UAM and I didn't have a clue. I struggled for ages but today I sat my Law03 exam and I'm pretty certain I'm now set for an A*.

Law03 takes law to a new level. Scenario's are more ambiguous, there are more offences per question and points of law are harder and there are now defences.

The one thing you have to get your head around to do well you have to know what's relevant. You can't put everything you learned in an answer, keep of focussed and only expand on points that would be debated in court.

A2 requires you to think. In my exam today you really had to distinguish between ABH and GBH but it wasn't clear cut. There were also 3 possible defences to talk about, but sometimes they make them difficult to spot so you really need to know the law.
rebeccael28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by mrbr2671999)
When I finished AS law the first thing I learned was UAM and I didn't have a clue. I struggled for ages but today I sat my Law03 exam and I'm pretty certain I'm now set for an A*.

Law03 takes law to a new level. Scenario's are more ambiguous, there are more offences per question and points of law are harder and there are now defences.

The one thing you have to get your head around to do well you have to know what's relevant. You can't put everything you learned in an answer, keep of focussed and only expand on points that would be debated in court.

A2 requires you to think. In my exam today you really had to distinguish between ABH and GBH but it wasn't clear cut. There were also 3 possible defences to talk about, but sometimes they make them difficult to spot so you really need to know the law.
In units 3 and 4 are any of them like Unit 1 where you choose topics to answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
S.M03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, it's very different. You still have the two scenarios in both 03 and 04 however, it's literally what you see is what you get. You have 3 questions in both papers.

Law 03 for Offences against the person includes 3 25 mark questions with additional 5 marks for the AO3 (I believe that's what it is) you have two scenario based questions and then an essay talking about the law and reforms to either non fatal offences, general defence or murder and voluntary manslaughter.

Law 04 (depending on which one your school decides to do. Either Tort or Offences against property) is the same structure. 2 scenario based questions which are 25 marks each and the last question which is 30 marks and is the concepts of law either law and morals, law and justice, judicial creativity, balancing conflicting interests or fault. Again, there are an additional 5 points for the last question. With the concepts of law, you only really need to learn three as you can pick which you want to write about in the exam. You get three options in the exam (not all of the concepts will come up only three) this is basically the only question in both papers where you actually have a choice on what to write about.

I hope this clears up your concerns and trust me, there is a big difference between Law 01 02 and Law 03 04 but don't let that put you off. Best of luck with everything and I hope your exams went well
mrbr2671999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rebeccael28)
In units 3 and 4 are any of them like Unit 1 where you choose topics to answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really. You get a choice from two scenarios and each scenario will contain different offences to talk about.

At the end of each paper you will get an essay to write about which you would have prepared for pre exam. In unit 3 it's 25 marks and in unit 4 it's 30 marks + 5
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (98)
61.64%
No (61)
38.36%

Watched Threads