The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME: AQA A Level Biology 12/06/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StefanGA
Can someone explain the herbicide answer to me? I disagree with the explanation that it had an effect on the wheat crops. There was only a difference of one, and the LSD value for that particular crop was much higher than 1, so I said that it was a statistically insignificant result and so could not be used either way, and that further testing was required to determine whether it actually had an effect or whether it was due to random chance, not that it had a slight effect on the wheat crop.

I wrote the same as you
Reply 41
@StefanGA @jblogs_8265 I'll add that to the unofficial mark scheme alongside the answer we've already got. I was really poorly during the exam, couldn't comprehend it, so no chance of remembering it! So unfortunately, I can't really input here. If someone comes along and can completely resolve the question for us (by giving the figures or something to explain it) then I'll remove the wrong answer on the mark scheme and only leave the correct one. Thanks for your contribution :smile:

EDIT: Just realised that it is an evaluative question, so requires both sides of the argument. It might mean that both answers are acceptable :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
The question where it asked us how is ATP made, was the answer the last option?
Original post by wafaa036
The question where it asked us how is ATP made, was the answer the last option?

Third, ATP is given off not used
i can't remember exactly but the question about releasing proteases outside of the cell, wasn't it asking why it will be useful for bacteria to release them?
Thank you
Original post by DrNippleson
Third, ATP is given off not used
Reply 46
i can't remember exactly but the question about releasing proteases outside of the cell, wasn't it asking why it will be useful for bacteria to release them?

Yep this question has been submitted, if you press "show" next to the "spolier" on the first post, you will be able to see the questions and answers :smile:
I read it and it said about why do cells release and not bacteria. Because i rember reading that why do bacteria release proteases
Original post by Amefish
Yep this question has been submitted, if you press "show" next to the "spolier" on the first post, you will be able to see the questions and answers :smile:
Reply 48
I read it and it said about why do cells release and not bacteria. Because i rember reading that why do bacteria release proteases

Oh sorry, I'll get that changed. Thanks!
Thank you because i wrote that if bacteria secret proteases, they can hydrolyse antibodies since they are made up of protein which will allow them to survive
Original post by Amefish
Oh sorry, I'll get that changed. Thanks!
Reply 50
Thank you because i wrote that if bacteria secret proteases, they can hydrolyse antibodies since they are made up of protein which will allow them to survive

That's a good point - I'll edit the post in the morning when I get on my laptop :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Amefish
Yep, it was! That threw me off at first because I thought it said 'do not include translation in your answer' :eek: do you think you know the answer? Mine was such a mess for that! And do you remember any other questions? :h:

It did say don't include translation..?
That's what i read as well but some of friends said that it said not to include transcription.
Original post by COE89922
Reply 53
Original post by COE89922

It said do not include transcription
have you posted it?
Original post by Virolite
i can post the paper in a bit paper but id rather focus on A2.
Reply 55
Original post by Anon2305
silly question - how do you know when a question is evaluative? i didnt write both sides of the argument for any questions whoops
was there only the one?

The command word is "evaluate" :smile:
Reply 56
This answer list only has 65 marks worth of questions , I thought the paper was out of 91???
Reply 57
Original post by Ashuu
This answer list only has 65 marks worth of questions , I thought the paper was out of 91???

We haven't got all of the questions/answers yet, if you remember any that aren't on the list please feel free to contribute :smile:
Original post by Amefish
Since I've seen a lot of people asking for the unofficial mark scheme, I thought: why not make a thread? Now, no-one's memory is absolutely perfect so we need to work together to remember the questions (and hopefully the answers). Thankfully, I remember the very first question (albeit not the actual wording of the question) but feel free to contribute your own and I'll stick it on the post.

Granted, I don't have much to contribute right now but I'm sure as people join in, we'll build up a right good answer list! :h:

Press "show" below to see all of the answers and questions we have collated

Spoiler

For the 2,4-D 3marker i put that it is effective as it does not affect the wheat crops however it kills the wild oat weed therefore more mineral availability for the wheat crop which is what they want.
Reply 59
Original post by tayyibrazaq1
For the 2,4-D 3marker i put that it is effective as it does not affect the wheat crops however it kills the wild oat weed therefore more mineral availability for the wheat crop which is what they want.

I'll pop that on there, thanks :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending