Report Thread starter 2 years ago
OCR
__maddieb__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey all,

My exam is Shakespeare's Twelfth Night as well as An Ideal Husband compared to Coleridge poetry 😊

My teachers have taught us to time it so it's 45 minutes on the extract, 30 minutes on the whole play essay and then 1 hour 15 minutes on the comparison, what about you guys?
Good luck everyone!!
got_twd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone doing The Tempest and A Doll's House/The Merchant's Tale?I dread English exams - it's not a fair representation of how good you actually are. You can be really good at Eng Lit and the wrong question comes up or you're not in the mood for writing essays etc and your entire grade depends on 2 exams! There's so much pressure to prove yourself.
Janet0927
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you guys think the Q will be for the comparative essays?
And what do you think could be the Hamlet extract and essay?
username2369377
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Guys there is an OCR English Lit thread!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4664338

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2369377
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by got_twd)
Anyone doing The Tempest and A Doll's House/The Merchant's Tale?I dread English exams - it's not a fair representation of how good you actually are. You can be really good at Eng Lit and the wrong question comes up or you're not in the mood for writing essays etc and your entire grade depends on 2 exams! There's so much pressure to prove yourself.
I'm doing A Doll's House and Merchant's Tale

Posted from TSR Mobile
got_twd
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zombie-dance)
I'm doing A Doll's House and Merchant's Tale

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool! How are you finding comparing them? I think there's quite a few themes you can link e.g. Deception, love/relationships but I find it hard to constantly weave in context as it always sounds so forced! And context is 50% of the actual essay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2369377
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cool! How are you finding comparing them? I think there's quite a few themes you can link e.g. Deception, love/relationships but I find it hard to constantly weave in context as it always sounds so forced! And context is 50% of the actual essay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I like comparing them! Really makes you think more about the individual characters I think. And yeah I think the thing to do is just kind of blend a bit of relevant context in as you're making your point and not so it's like your point and then a block of context, then another point then a block of context, you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
got_twd
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I like comparing them! Really makes you think more about the individual characters I think. And yeah I think the thing to do is just kind of blend a bit of relevant context in as you're making your point and not so it's like your point and then a block of context, then another point then a block of context, you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly that's what my teacher told me to stop doing haha. I always feel like I'm making the same points like 'women were inferior in the 19th century' blah blah! I hope there are some nice questions... good luck for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2369377
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah exactly that's what my teacher told me to stop doing haha. I always feel like I'm making the same points like 'women were inferior in the 19th century' blah blah! I hope there are some nice questions... good luck for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same! Some good context for Chaucer is the Bible which heavily dictated the views of their society, Garden of Eden, the courts Chaucer's tales were read out in, courtly love, etc. But yeah for A Doll's House I seem to just always talk about women :/ although I science began to play a bigger role in the Victorian era which I suppose would have threatened religion so you could maybe bring that in for some questions. And thank you, you too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
got_twd
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same! Some good context for Chaucer is the Bible which heavily dictated the views of their society, Garden of Eden, the courts Chaucer's tales were read out in, courtly love, etc. But yeah for A Doll's House I seem to just always talk about women :/ although I science began to play a bigger role in the Victorian era which I suppose would have threatened religion so you could maybe bring that in for some questions. And thank you, you too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I always say 'Chaucer wrote in a heavily religious time' and I suppose you can relate some things to the Black Death too. Oh yeah with Darwin's Origin of the Species and threatening the Bible's story of creation! I forgot about that, you could make some contextual links there. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2369377
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I always say 'Chaucer wrote in a heavily religious time' and I suppose you can relate some things to the Black Death too. Oh yeah with Darwin's Origin of the Species and threatening the Bible's story of creation! I forgot about that, you could make some contextual links there. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills ā€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)