Is Kristallnacht the same thing as Night of the Long Knives ????

Watch
anonomon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
GCSE Edexcel History Germany 1918-45
TruckofPeace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, Kristallnacht was when Jews were attacked and their shops and homes looted, the night of the long knives was when hitler purged the SA (Sturmabteilung) to stop them becoming too powerful
mitti16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no
=-= Aaron =-=
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anonomon)
GCSE Edexcel History Germany 1918-45
Kristallnacht (Night of broken glass): The first real attack against the Jews triggered from a Jewish student killing a German diplomat, Nazis stormed the streets breaking into Jewish homes and businesses looting/smashing everything. Synagogues were burned to the ground, Jews were killed and Jews were forced to pay for the damages.

Night of the Long Knives: Hitler rounded up leaders of the SA including 'close' friends (including Ernst Rohm) and had them executed mostly by Hitler's SS and the Gestapo. This was to ensure that Hitler had complete power as he feared the SA were getting too big for their boots and may try to overthrow Hitler. This also installed more fear into the people of Germany as Hitler proved that nothing would stop him on his journey to ultimate power.
Homeschool2020
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope -- KristallNacht happened in 1938, when the SS and the Gestapo decided to attack Jewish Communities. Jewish shops were smashed, 100 jews were killed, 200 synagogues were burnt down and 25,000 jews were sent of to concentration camps. It is also known as the Night Of The Broken Glass
The Night Of Long Knives occured from the 30th of June 1934- to the 2nd of July 1964, where the SS and Gestapo performed opeation Hummingbird-- the massarce of the SA. This was because the SA were unruly and unpopular and theri leader, Ernst Rohm was starting to oppose Hitler.
I hope this is helpful
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, long story short: NOLN was the mass arrest of many of the SA in order for Hitler to destroy the SA and Ernst Rohm, so he could further his power of the Nazi party.
Krisstallnacht I think was the destruction of Jewish businesses and property by the Nazis.

Others above have explained it better than I have though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (100)
59.17%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.65%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.1%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.33%

Watched Threads