Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    since i'll probably be living at home, can someone tell me the best way to make friends as i know its gonna be hard if im not living there. do ppl living at home find it difficult to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    why not just live there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    why not just live there?
    i went looking at the halls today and its totally put me off, the bedrooms are pure brown even the wallpaper and ceiling and the curtains are just pieces of net :confused: the whole place was messy though not as untidy as my room i wouldn't have minded living there if it was only £20 a week lol but its £60 :eek: this doesnt include how much electricity you use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    since i'll probably be living at home, can someone tell me the best way to make friends as i know its gonna be hard if im not living there. do ppl living at home find it difficult to make friends.
    I wanna hear ur opinion ppl as well, especially from those who has already been through this or heard from friends!

thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i went looking at the halls today and its totally put me off, the bedrooms are pure brown even the wallpaper and ceiling and the curtains are just pieces of net :confused: the whole place was messy though not as untidy as my room i wouldn't have minded living there if it was only £20 a week lol but its £60 :eek: this doesnt include how much electricity you use
    but all your 'friends' are gonna be staying there..... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    you have to remember that you don't go to university to live in 5-star accomodation. the whole point of living in halls is to meet new people, enjoy a different social life, and generally be 'a part of things'. u can also stay out much later if u live in halls, and don't have to worry about disturbing neighbours etc.

so depending on whether you want to fork out £60 a week for 34 weeks, to experience the university lifestyle...

ReputationRep:
    Lets see, ads of living away:

> Floor parties
    > Come and go as you please
    > "Entertain" the ladies without the risk of parents walking in
    > Get used to living out there in the big mean world
    > Few transportation costs/more convenient
    > Be close to your chums

i'm sure there are many more i've missed

ReputationRep:
    hm its true what ure saying and thats what making me want to live there but id also like to stay at home. :mad: i hate making decisions

is any1 going to bolton institute btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hm its true what ure saying and thats what making me want to live there but id also like to stay at home. :mad: i hate making decisions

is any1 going to bolton institute btw
    you can stay home as long as u like after u've finished uni.

you only get one year to live in a hall of residence (or 3 depending what uni u go to), and as Nik says, 'entertain friends' without parents noticing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Lets see, ads of living away:

> Floor parties
    > Come and go as you please
    > Get used to living out there in the big mean world
    > Few transportation costs/more convenient
    > Be close to your chums

i'm sure there are many more i've missed
    LOL! I was hoping to hear some advantages of living at home cos I've already made my desicion and its too late now to change it and apply for accomodation

c'mon ppl cheer me up plz cos I m about to go crazy hearing about all the fun I m gonna miss out!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hummm. ads for living at home:

> More money to spend on yourself and friends... image all those big night outs
    > Never worry about food, you'll be well fed and happy in the mornings unlike the rest of us
    > You'll have the old folk to help you out in times of need (money/food/washing)
    > Nice facilities, i.e own bathroom, so you can spend as long as you want in there (humm hot baths after a hard days work)
    >large room, familiar surroundings... you won't be as anxious going to uni.
    > more positive environment to study in come exam times...
    > larger place to hold the occasional party or get together...
    >no worrys about rent/heating/electricity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelx)
    LOL! I was hoping to hear some advantages of living at home cos I've already made my desicion and its too late now to change it and apply for accomodation

c'mon ppl cheer me up plz cos I m about to go crazy hearing about all the fun I m gonna miss out!!!!
    me too ok i'll think of some: :rolleyes:

. you wont be in any debt when u leave uni
    . u'l have the comforts of home ie pets
    . u'l have more free time as parents will still do the shopping/washing
    . you might even make friends where they let u stop over at their appartment for free
    . more peace and quiet - better nights sleep
    . u'll have sorta 2 worlds - a uni 1 and being at home1

errm help me im stuck

ReputationRep:
    im staying at home because a) the campus is a crappy one thats in the middle of nowhere close to the projects b)i live in the same city and c) i'll move out anyways once i get enough money and roomates to a better location so why not save now and get a better pad

ReputationRep:
    I think horrorboy is going to Bolton Institute....

ReputationRep:
    Join a club or society, you'll meet loads of people there. You can go out with your course mates too. You don't have to live away if you don't want to (But it is lots of fun!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    although 'parents' gets replaced by 'cleaners'.

(Original post by alio)
    hi... i wouldn't worry. Unis tend to have freshers week and get-to-know-you type things going on, so as long as you make sure you make the most of those kinda opportunities and mingle, you should be prefectly alright. and as all the others pointed out, there are loadsa advantages to living at home. Finance for one thing! lol.

I'm not exactly in your situation but maybe it's relevant: some of my best friends are already at uni (2nd and 3rd yrs) and we've kept our friendships going. We're still as solid as when we all went to the same 6th form!

Try not to worry, okay? Keep smiling... And remember, have fun! (there will be others in your situation i should think) As for me... when I start my course, I'll be one of the "further-away" ones [minority]so I kinda had worries on whether I'll be outcasted or not as I'm not gonna be local/have a different accent/way of thinking etc etc but, hey, it'll be fine. Just as it will for you.

Hope that helps.

Skye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    Introduce yourself to everyone for about a month! Talk to anyone and everyone on your course and find some good mates there. This will b good if u miss a lecture too cause u can steal there notes. Also good for when u have to do group work.
    Also join lots of societies and clubs. U can always leave after a while if u've got too much on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    me too ok i'll think of some: :rolleyes:

. you wont be in any debt when u leave uni
    . u'l have the comforts of home ie pets
    . u'l have more free time as parents will still do the shopping/washing
    . you might even make friends where they let u stop over at their appartment for free
    . more peace and quiet - better nights sleep
    . u'll have sorta 2 worlds - a uni 1 and being at home1

errm help me im stuck

thats bout it I think but 6 points is not so bad!
    bout the whole friends making issue:
    I've decided that as soon as I receive my info pack bout the freshers week I m gonna sign in for every single thing!I'm also gonna join clubs/societies and spend a quality of time in the student union bar!
    I think it should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    I'm staying in my home city but moving into halls - which are next to my old school lol. The course was a lot better here so thats why i'm staying. You'll be fine though, not everyone moves away

what Uni is it your going to btw?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.