The Student Room Group

Higher English - Ian Crichton Smith ... help needed

Hi

Have just started studying Ian Crichton Smith's short stories for H English and not finding many resources out there to help (my teacher is rubbish!) Does anyone know of any good websites for help?
Thanks
Reply 1
You will find a complete set of notes here. This is the present set. Shortly - probably in August - there will be a new version which will include the full text of the stories. The present set does not include the text. Where in the present set all references are to the "Red Book" in the new edition the references will be to the included text.

You will also see there is a unit on Iain Crichton Smith Exam questions. Within a few months the SQA's "Refreshed List" version will also be available.

Hope that helps.

Link:-
https://www.scottishsettexts.co.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by Esther777777
do not click on the link this person has given - it is not secure and your computer will be hacked - my computer has told me it is unsafe!!!

I am getting the same message from FireFox. I do not know what is triggering this alert. However FireFox is wrong. It is not insecure and the site is not a danger.

On second thoughts hold off at the moment. I see Safari is also giving me this message. I will check with the developer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
The site is now ok. A certificate that ought to have updated itself did not do so and has been replaced. There was never any chance of anyone being infected by a virus.

I gave you a link to free copy of the file. Feel free to use it or not - as you wish. The link expires at 8:00 am tomorrow.

Good luck with your studies.
Don't pay any money on the Scottish texts site. I stupidly paid £5.99 for the sorely McLean notes and they are really not worth it. Very basic.
Reply 6
Original post by BlackLab
Don't pay any money on the Scottish texts site. I stupidly paid £5.99 for the sorely McLean notes and they are really not worth it. Very basic.

I am disappointed to hear your comment about the Sorley Maclean materials on the ScottishSetTexts web site. I swithered for some time as to whether I should respond to this comment. What has forced me into replying is the unjustified suggestion that nothing is worth buying on the site.

I do not know what your concerns are about the Sorley Maclean notes. In the latest version - the 2021 edition - I have included many rare videos of Sorley Maclean and Seamus Heaney talking about Maclean’s poems and poetry in addition to a set of detailed detailed notes..

In creating the Sorley MacLean notes I sought on many occasions advice from facility members of the Gaelic department at Edinburgh University. I also was in conversation with Professor Emma Dymock who read an early edition of the notes and made suggestions to me.

The I. C Smith notes - which is what this thread is about - is 105 pages long and I feel well worth the price requested.

In the new revision of the Jekyll and Hyde notes - which I am presently working on - I am in conversation with two Robert Louis Stevenson professors and I am developing new understanding of this book and themes within the novella.

What has forced me into responding to your comment is the very unfair suggestion that nothing on the site is worth buying. I strenuously suggest that is both unfair and untrue.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending