(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
ignore the top part, accident and i cant remove it
Reply 3
Original post by okaasan
ignore the top part, accident and i cant remove it

which year? O.o what paper is this?
impulse.jpg

Please use exact values throughout hence why I wrote u = 14.83...

So I drew this rough diagram to show you what's happening. In order to find the time, you need to find the new velocity after the stone S rebounds from the wall. Use the impulse equation to find this out.

Then use F = ma to calculate the new acceleration, remember the only force acting on the stone S is resistance acting in the opposite direction. You'll get the same acceleration as the initial acceleration because the resistance to motion hasn't changed but in the exam you may have a rough surface so your acceleration will be different than before. In this case, it is assumed to be smooth as the stone moves on ice.

You now have u (which is v in the diagram which is velocity the particle after it rebounds), acceleration, v' = 0 as it comes to rest and you need to find t.

I got t = 3.1 seconds as an answer to 2 significant figures.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ManLike007
impulse.jpg

Please use exact values throughout hence why I wrote u = 14.83...

So I drew this rough diagram to show you what's happening. In order to find the time, you need to find the new velocity after the stone S rebounds from the wall. Use the impulse equation to find this out.

Then use F = ma to calculate the new acceleration, remember the only force acting on the stone S is resistance acting in the opposite direction. You'll get the same acceleration as the initial acceleration because the resistance to motion hasn't changed but in the exam you may have a rough surface so your acceleration will be different than before. In this case, it is assumed to be smooth as the stone moves on ice.

You now have u (which is v in the diagram which is velocity the particle after it rebounds), acceleration, v' = 0 as it comes to rest and you need to find t.

I got t = 3.1 seconds as an answer to 2 significant figures.

Thank you so much! That is the correct answer!!
Reply 6
Original post by sayema1
which year? O.o what paper is this?

January 2005! xD
Reply 7
Original post by okaasan
January 2005! xD

ummmmm the exam's over :tongue:

Quick Reply