PhD in law without an LLB ? Watch

fslawymb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everybody,

I am an international student currently holding a French law Bachelor degree from a French university. I am going to pursue a LLM at QMUL this September.

My goal is to pursue a Phd after my LLM. However, I am afraid that not having a UK law bachelor degree would prevent me from getting a scholarship funding for my PhD. Should I pursue a GDL or LLB senior statute after my LLM ? Or getting a distinction in my LLM will be largely enough ?

I know I can never be 100 % sure but I really want to maximise my chances to get a PhD funding.

Thank you in advance for ur answers
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fslawymb)
Hi everybody,

I am an international student currently holding a French law Bachelor degree from a French university. I am going to pursue a LLM at QMUL this September.

My goal is to pursue a Phd after my LLM. However, I am afraid that not having a UK law bachelor degree would prevent me from getting a scholarship funding for my PhD. Should I pursue a GDL or LLB senior statute after my LLM ? Or getting a distinction in my LLM will be largely enough ?

I know I can never be 100 % sure but I really want to maximise my chances to get a PhD funding.

Thank you in advance for ur answers
I would imagine whether funding was available for a PHD would depend entirely on what the area your PHD intended to focus on. If it was English law then you would obviously be at a disadvantage.

The web page says

A relevant undergraduate degree in Law or its relevant equivalent qualification is necessary in all cases.

Theres no point doing a GDL unless you wish to try and qualify. Its also depends on what law modules you do on the LLM. You are better off talking to your tutor and department.
Blue Papaya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello

fslawymb I am happy to have found this post of yours, as I am in a similar situation. I am starting an llm at QMUL, after having done my bachelor’s in another country. I want to apply for a PhD directly after I will have completed my llm - which means I need to submit my application in the first semester of my llm. If you could be so kind as to share any info on how to do this, tips...anything really, I would be very thankful.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.62%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.3%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.4%

Watched Threads