The Student Room Group

Finding A levels easy

I'm not smart, but for me, exams are easy. Pissed about during my entire high school life ,0 revision but got mostly As and A* in GCSE. I barely turned up to year 12 last year with about 40% attendance, no revision and got ACB which I don't see as bad at all. I'm just cracking into my A2 exams now, and despite having the same level of motivation and attendance as year 12, with just the night before to revise, I walked out of my psychology exam thinking that could not have gone better and answering every question with full indepth answers from the textbook. Call me a massive cocky pr*ck but I believe that it is not an indication of intelligence- most of the people that walked out of that psychology exam the other day complaining about how badly they did, are much, MUCH more intelligent than me in my opinion. I think that 1. bright kids doing badly in exams and 2. people like me that (annoyingly I know) pass with no or little effort both show that the exam system is pretty damn unfair. I guess the only thing to credit my exam success is, is my short term memory (cramming the night before). Why should my short term memory push me to a uni where (based on my past records) it appears I would not be motivated to succeed at all? Speaking generally here since I actually have an unconditional. Just posting my thoughts, probably doesn't make much sense

Scroll to see replies

I actually think there's a point in what you're saying! I'm not particularly smart either, and mostly during classes of especially the science subjects, I don't understand anything that's going on. However, I do have a talent for cramming information one day before a test and performing well on tests, probably because I'm good at reading comprehension/writing.
This is weird because everyone always looks at my grades and assumes I'm smart but honestly I just feel like a fraud?
Reply 2
Original post by hysterria
I actually think there's a point in what you're saying! I'm not particularly smart either, and mostly during classes of especially the science subjects, I don't understand anything that's going on. However, I do have a talent for cramming information one day before a test and performing well on tests, probably because I'm good at reading comprehension/writing.
This is weird because everyone always looks at my grades and assumes I'm smart but honestly I just feel like a fraud?

Yep , and I really end up feeling terrible for those really hardworking people that stress and stress about exams and come out unhappy with themselves... they just can't put their intelligence onto the paper that society holds on such a pedestal.
Original post by draperaidan
I'm not smart, but for me, exams are easy. Pissed about during my entire high school life ,0 revision but got mostly As and A* in GCSE. I barely turned up to year 12 last year with about 40% attendance, no revision and got ACB which I don't see as bad at all. I'm just cracking into my A2 exams now, and despite having the same level of motivation and attendance as year 12, with just the night before to revise, I walked out of my psychology exam thinking that could not have gone better and answering every question with full indepth answers from the textbook. Call me a massive cocky pr*ck but I believe that it is not an indication of intelligence- most of the people that walked out of that psychology exam the other day complaining about how badly they did, are much, MUCH more intelligent than me in my opinion. I think that 1. bright kids doing badly in exams and 2. people like me that (annoyingly I know) pass with no or little effort both show that the exam system is pretty damn unfair. I guess the only thing to credit my exam success is, is my short term memory (cramming the night before). Why should my short term memory push me to a uni where (based on my past records) it appears I would not be motivated to succeed at all? Speaking generally here since I actually have an unconditional. Just posting my thoughts, probably doesn't make much sense

Psychology is just remembering stuff, whereas maths and science subjects require actual intelligence.
Reply 4
Yep , and I really end up feeling terrible for those really hardworking people that stress and stress about exams and come out unhappy with themselves... they just can't put their intelligence onto the paper that society holds on such a pedestal.

And funnily enough I'm the exact same... never know what's going on , especially science subjects!
Agree with you. It didnt make a lot of sense. Just think yourself lucky and see if uni is any more of a challenge. If its all that easy, then you should be oxbridge material and if you arent because you are too unmotivated, then it is you who will miss out. You should be happy with anything less than 3 A*.
Reply 6
Original post by Khanman123
Psychology is just remembering stuff, whereas maths and science subjects require actual intelligence.

Fair statement to make , I was using psychology as an example but it applies to my others such as English Lit , History and IT and also applies to GCSE, but I get where you're coming from. Therefore I guess the problem lies with the subject types, and how proportionately unfair they are?
Lmao, try cramming a2 physics or a2 chemistry, can only do in recall based subjects not heavy understanding subjects
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Agree with you. It didnt make a lot of sense. Just think yourself lucky and see if uni is any more of a challenge. If its all that easy, then you should be oxbridge material and if you arent because you are too unmotivated, then it is you who will miss out. You should be happy with anything less than 3 A*.

Too unmotivated for that lmao
Reply 9
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Lmao, try cramming a2 physics or a2 chemistry, can only do in recall based subjects not heavy understanding subjects

Yep, I guess my issue is specifically to do with recall based subjects then
Original post by glad-he-ate-her

Furthermore; oooo someone's smart! Chemistry and Physics, you absolute heavy weight
And funnily enough I'm the exact same... never know what's going on , especially science subjects!

Tbf I was expecting you to do maths and chemistry and physics or something. Not those subjects, kinda takes the punch out of your statement. If you were doing Sciences I'd take my hat off to you Serrr
Yeah guys, I haven't been through UK education so I can't speak of A-levels or their difficulty.

What I'm doing is a 6-year, "university preparation", high school designed for the 20% most academically capable. I guess that can be compared to your A-levels :smile:.

I honestly think that this is a massive flaw in the educational system, that people like us are able to do so well just because this is the way in which we are assessed. Others might be so much more intelligent, but indeed fail to show this on exams.
Original post by Klimenski
Tbf I was expecting you to do maths and chemistry and physics or something. Not those subjects, kinda takes the punch out of your statement. If you were doing Sciences I'd take my hat off to you Serrr

I was about to REALLY piss people off by posing that Psychology is a science, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it :biggrin:
Reply 14
smoke weed it'll make you dumb nd give you a harder challenge
Furthermore; oooo someone's smart! Chemistry and Physics, you absolute heavy weight

Chemistry and Physics aren't bad if you revise. TBF, most subjects aren't bad if you revise.
Reply 16

Also depends on what subjects you do. If you do easy A levels then easy marks.
Original post by HHH7
smoke weed it'll make you dumb nd give you a harder challenge

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by Coolerthanapples
Chemistry and Physics aren't bad if you revise. TBF, most subjects aren't bad if you revise.

you can study those 24/7 and your exam board will still manage to **** with your head on the day of the exams
Original post by DeCruz
you can study those 24/7 and your exam board will still manage to **** with your head on the day of the exams

Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest