The Student Room Group
Unregistered
I decided to take futher maths for a-level because i got an A*in GCSE + I find it quite easy.

The course i'm taking means i do a-level maths in one year with 4 hours a week and then the same for futher maths in the next.
Is this enough time and how hard is the course????

Thank u :0)

Depends which board your with and which modules you take. I did MEI Structured Mathematics which at the time was pretty difficult. If you do modules like M6, P6 or S6, they are hard, but modules like P3+P4 are easy. A lot of people do D&D1, I never did that because I couldn't grasp it, its a stupid module. Every1 in my further maths class got a's and b's for that module but I opted to do the P6 module instead which maybe is harder but a lot more useful. You have just 4 hours a week? I had 17 hours over two weeks of normal and further maths, my school run both courses side by side and thats the reason why they do MEI because students can start p4 without doing p2+p3. Edexcel sounds a bit of a rubbish board especially with maths from what I hear on here and from people I know. But if you choose modules like p4,p5,m2,m3,m4,s2,s2,s4 you can't go wrong, their not too difficult and most further mathematicians can score high marks on those modules. I'd say that the time is a bit tight but can be done if your prepared to learn the some parts of the modules yourself.
Reply 2
If you are talented at Maths, it is not hard.

But it IS a lot of work.
Unregistered
I decided to take futher maths for a-level because i got an A*in GCSE + I find it quite easy.

The course i'm taking means i do a-level maths in one year with 4 hours a week and then the same for futher maths in the next.
Is this enough time and how hard is the course????

Thank u :0)

4 hours a week will be a push to complete 12 books. It may be that you manage to do it, but don't have time in class to discuss the courseworks, problems, and past paper questions.

We had 4 hours a week on each and had to start using up some of ours and member of maths staffs frees for extra lessons to manage to complete.
Reply 4
Expression
4 hours a week will be a push to complete 12 books. It may be that you manage to do it, but don't have time in class to discuss the courseworks, problems, and past paper questions.

We had 4 hours a week on each and had to start using up some of ours and member of maths staffs frees for extra lessons to manage to complete.

if u did as much work as i did, itll be hard!

if you work hard and ure talented it sould be okish
Reply 5
Sir I. Newton
Depends which board your with and which modules you take. I did MEI Structured Mathematics which at the time was pretty difficult. If you do modules like M6, P6 or S6, they are hard, but modules like P3+P4 are easy. A lot of people do D&D1, I never did that because I couldn't grasp it, its a stupid module. Every1 in my further maths class got a's and b's for that module but I opted to do the P6 module instead which maybe is harder but a lot more useful. You have just 4 hours a week? I had 17 hours over two weeks of normal and further maths, my school run both courses side by side and thats the reason why they do MEI because students can start p4 without doing p2+p3. Edexcel sounds a bit of a rubbish board especially with maths from what I hear on here and from people I know. But if you choose modules like p4,p5,m2,m3,m4,s2,s2,s4 you can't go wrong, their not too difficult and most further mathematicians can score high marks on those modules. I'd say that the time is a bit tight but can be done if your prepared to learn the some parts of the modules yourself.

No way- P6 is easy... like you can choose 3 questions out of 5. M6 is an extension of M5 (which is very physicy). I didn't do S6 but S5 is very, very algebra heavy... no more learning of tests and irrelavent facts... hardcore pure maths. The fact is you only need to get like 40/60 to get a uniform of 100 in P6, M6, and S6. I got 100, 98 and 88 for these mods and I could swear I didn't answer all the questions! If you are good at maths: go for it!

Latest