The Student Room Group

Dyslexic and in Uni

Okay so I am in my first year of uni, I am studying Radiography and receiving the results for all my essays and exams. I have at the moment failed two essays out of 3, failed my human body exam by 5% (still waiting on two more exam results) but passed my audit (just). I can re-sit all my essays I have failed and my exam. I guess what I am wondering is, does anyone have any tips for me to help me with this exam and re-writing the essays?? I'm really struggling with my mood because of all of this and I am currently at placement living away from uni and home also not helping with my mood. :frown:
The best tips I can give is planning! In terms of essays (as a dyslexic too) I always find that it is easier for me to find all my references first and write them down in a word document and colour code them in terms of what references go well together. i then add my own thoughts to each reference and interpret it in my own way, i then reshuffle it all about and you then have a really good first draft of an essay which you just chop and change a bit to make more sense. Obviously you don't want to be quoting every single reference, you have to put it into your own words too.

For the exams, for anatomy I used the bones and joints book which was really good. Radiography masterclass website is also AMAZING!!! I even use that during placement now. Cue cards always work well for me to jot down key points and i just go through then each night before bed. A lot of colour coding is good, particulary with anatomy!

But most importantly make sure you take plenty of breaks, particulay when you're on placement, it's so tiring and you can't work all the time or you'll crash out!

Hope everything goes well for you!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for this, the essay tips are great! I colour code for anatomy already. Bones and joints is my bible along with Clarks science and positioning. Its just getting it to stick there is just so much information. I know it when I'm talking to someone but when it comes to an exam nothing. it's so unbelievably frustrating!

Original post by katecatfish
The best tips I can give is planning! In terms of essays (as a dyslexic too) I always find that it is easier for me to find all my references first and write them down in a word document and colour code them in terms of what references go well together. i then add my own thoughts to each reference and interpret it in my own way, i then reshuffle it all about and you then have a really good first draft of an essay which you just chop and change a bit to make more sense. Obviously you don't want to be quoting every single reference, you have to put it into your own words too.

For the exams, for anatomy I used the bones and joints book which was really good. Radiography masterclass website is also AMAZING!!! I even use that during placement now. Cue cards always work well for me to jot down key points and i just go through then each night before bed. A lot of colour coding is good, particulary with anatomy!

But most importantly make sure you take plenty of breaks, particulay when you're on placement, it's so tiring and you can't work all the time or you'll crash out!

Hope everything goes well for you!
no problem! I guess it is just repition and the more you talk to radiographers about anatomy the more it will stick, you'll be amazed with how much you have learnt without even knowing. If they have repoting radiographers at your hospital, my best advice would be to ask them if you could sit in on some of their reporting sessions as you will really pick up all your anatomy terms there. :smile:
is your uni aware of your dyslexia have you been to see learning support. dont try to be independent. get all the support you can. extra time and possibly the use of a computer. dont despair get help its waiting for you.
Reply 5
Yes the university is aware of my disability. But other than extra time, spelling and grammar the lecturer that's marking my work just won't give me any good criticism about my work. She just keeps saying it need more work. I'm at home at the moment and haven't able to have a summer because I'm concentrating so much on all this work
Thanks for these tips Katie they are extremely useful to both prospective students and current student radiographers such as myself. Please can you PM me as I wanted to ask you some radiography related questions?Thanks
Luke :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest