The Student Room Group

Failing A-Levels/BTEC, not going to get the points I need

Hi all,

This could become quite the rant - I don't know yet!

Basically, I am in year 12, and studying the BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care Diploma course, alongside A-Level Biology. However, this is soon to change. I sat the AS in Biology as a result of my consistently poor grades, and I can basically guarantee that I have failed this AS, meaning I will be unable to continue next year. This is NOT through lack of effort, I just do not understand the content, nor do I perform well under exam conditions.

So it is looking likely that biology will be a complete write-off. I am targeted for Distinction*, Distinction in Health and Social Care, and am hopeful that I will be able to reach this providing my performance in the exams was okay. This, under the new tariff system, would get me 104 UCAS points.

I am hopeful to go into a career of nursing, however, this requires a minimum of 112 points, ranging up to 126 points, to access a course. I am going to sit the extended project qualification, but University's do not count this when applying for Nursing!

I don't know what to do! I could stay on an extra year and start another A-Level next year, but there is not another subject I am interested in doing, or feel like I would be able to comfortably pass, so I really am stuck! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Kxjzh
Hi all,

This could become quite the rant - I don't know yet!

Basically, I am in year 12, and studying the BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care Diploma course, alongside A-Level Biology. However, this is soon to change. I sat the AS in Biology as a result of my consistently poor grades, and I can basically guarantee that I have failed this AS, meaning I will be unable to continue next year. This is NOT through lack of effort, I just do not understand the content, nor do I perform well under exam conditions.

So it is looking likely that biology will be a complete write-off. I am targeted for Distinction*, Distinction in Health and Social Care, and am hopeful that I will be able to reach this providing my performance in the exams was okay. This, under the new tariff system, would get me 104 UCAS points.

I am hopeful to go into a career of nursing, however, this requires a minimum of 112 points, ranging up to 126 points, to access a course. I am going to sit the extended project qualification, but University's do not count this when applying for Nursing!

I don't know what to do! I could stay on an extra year and start another A-Level next year, but there is not another subject I am interested in doing, or feel like I would be able to comfortably pass, so I really am stuck! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

loser.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by nrjs96
loser.

Spoiler

You panicked me for a minute then! Thankyou, I'll have a look

Quick Reply

Latest