The Student Room Group

Applying for two course | HELPPPPP

Hi guys, i want to apply for dental hygiene and pharmacy how should i structure my personal statement and preparing for my interviews. Im worried i wont get into one competitive course dental hygiene but im not too key for the second course pharmacy... so i dont know what to do. It's so hard to get in... if i dont get in this year... i dont know what to do.. shall i apply for pharmacy through clearing while reapplying. By the way im in year 12 right now and applying this yr
Reply 1
Original post by MKaur18
Hi guys, i want to apply for dental hygiene and pharmacy how should i structure my personal statement and preparing for my interviews. Im worried i wont get into one competitive course dental hygiene but im not too key for the second course pharmacy... so i dont know what to do. It's so hard to get in... if i dont get in this year... i dont know what to do.. shall i apply for pharmacy through clearing while reapplying. By the way im in year 12 right now and applying this yr

They're very different courses, and you won't be able to write a competitive personal statement that covers both. It would be better to decide which course you prefer, and then only apply for that course so that you can tailor your personal statement accordingly. You will have to decide at some point as you can only study one course, so it's better to decide earlier and benefit from a stronger application.

If you then do get rejected, you can look at applying through [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] or Clearing. You could then change your mind and apply for the other course.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
They're very different courses, and you won't be able to write a competitive personal statement that covers both. It would be better to decide which course you prefer, and then only apply for that course so that you can tailor your personal statement accordingly. You will have to decide at some point as you can only study one course, so it's better to decide earlier and benefit from a stronger application.

If you then do get rejected, you can look at applying through [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] or Clearing. You could then change your mind and apply for the other course.

I don't know for sure if i'll want to do either of them in 10 years time.. i love chemistry but i want to be able to live comfortably which dental hygiene can support for me for my future and what i want but i am interested in it.. but pharmacy is enjoyable and is something that interests me.
Reply 3
Original post by MKaur18
I don't know for sure if i'll want to do either of them in 10 years time.. i love chemistry but i want to be able to live comfortably which dental hygiene can support for me for my future and what i want but i am interested in it.. but pharmacy is enjoyable and is something that interests me.

Then do a lot more research and see where each career can take you - what progression opportunities are there? Where can you work? Have you done some work experience in both areas to gain an insight into the actual job?
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Then do a lot more research and see where each career can take you - what progression opportunities are there? Where can you work? Have you done some work experience in both areas to gain an insight into the actual job?

YEAH i have done work exp. i love both jobs equally. I will probs go for dental hyg cos it's a good career generally.. but ive always wanted to do pharmacy... we'll see how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest