Can I apply to university in my gap year?

Watch
username2355189
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just about finished my AS exams, and I know I've messed up a lot. This year was really terrible for me, a lot of bad things just happened...

I don't want to apply in my A2 year (I know my grades will be bad).

I had the idea if I applied during my gap year, I'd apply with my A2 grades?

Is that possible? I plan on working a lot harder next year and using my summertime wisely, so A2 grades will probably be better.

The thing is, my college is pretty adamant on getting all the paperwork filled in and submitted as soon as possible, so I'm a little unsure about what I'm meant to do.

Has anyone done this before, and can you PLEASE give me some advice? I would thank you a thousand times over if I could.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Writer_Refresh)
I've just about finished my AS exams, and I know I've messed up a lot. This year was really terrible for me, a lot of bad things just happened...

I don't want to apply in my A2 year (I know my grades will be bad).

I had the idea if I applied during my gap year, I'd apply with my A2 grades?

Is that possible? I plan on working a lot harder next year and using my summertime wisely, so A2 grades will probably be better.

The thing is, my college is pretty adamant on getting all the paperwork filled in and submitted as soon as possible, so I'm a little unsure about what I'm meant to do.

Has anyone done this before, and can you PLEASE give me some advice? I would thank you a thousand times over if I could.
yes you d apply with your a2 grades and is a sensible idea in your situation
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, you would apply in the usual manner and write your personal statement, fill in the UCAS sections and so on, and if applicable attend interviews. The main difference would be you would normally be made an unconditional offer, rather than conditional, as you will have already achieved your grades. Your college's assumption is that you're applying in the upcoming application cycle and prefer to get students working on it earlier rather than later, as the latter can throw up problems for a students application. Just make it clear to them you don't intend to apply to university immediately, but after taking a gap year; this way, they know you'll need a reference the following cycle, but don't need to worry about prodding you into writing a personal statement etc in this cycle.

There are some specific caveats to this depending on where and what you intend to study. For example, medicine and related courses will usually like to see you spend your "gap year" in a productive manner i.e. not just sat on a beach somewhere sunny and warm. Maths courses at the top institutions are usually reluctant to take on candidates that have had a "year out" from maths as if you aren't continually using your mathematical skills they very quickly go rusty, and as university mathematics hits the ground running (this is true everywhere, but particularly at the handful of elite universities which formally stipulate this) you can get overwhelmed very quickly.

I would recommend considering how you plan to spend the following year as a result, and to make contingency plans just in case something goes wrong during the intervening period. It's hard to make any recommendations without knowing your overall plans however. Working is always a valid option though, as universities can't hold it against you if you would like to save some money before starting, particularly given the increasing tuition fees and living costs while at university, although in the case of maths I would recommend balancing this with some kind of mathematical academic endeavour. Medicine and related courses will probably like to see you've done at least some part time volunteer work, ideally in a caring role (this could just be some St John's Ambulance or similar work for a few events for example, or more consistent part time health care assistant type work with a part time job separately).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads