Living with boyfriend in shared house- not on tenancy

Watch this thread
returnedone
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

My boyfriend already signed a contract for a room in a shared house and we were thinking I could stay with him living there, but not officially have it as my residency (on official documents etc), could the landlord ever really find out that I'm living there? how could anyone prove I've been living there for a long period of time? I was wondering if it could land us in trouble or if it's mostly something that would be overlooked

thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by returnedone)
Hi

My boyfriend already signed a contract for a room in a shared house and we were thinking I could stay with him living there, but not officially have it as my residency (on official documents etc), could the landlord ever really find out that I'm living there? how could anyone prove I've been living there for a long period of time? I was wondering if it could land us in trouble or if it's mostly something that would be overlooked

thanks
Yes the LL might find out but it depends. He should read the contract covering guests and inspections.

Letting you live there almost certainly puts him in breach of his tenancy agreement. You arent meant to be living there.

You can get caught out in two ways.

1. LLs do inspections to ensure the property is being looked after. the tenancy agreement will tell you how many and when they will be. If theres an agency they may do it.

2. The biggest risk comes from the other tenants complaining about you. You need to pay your way.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)

2. The biggest risk comes from the other tenants complaining about you. You need to pay your way.
I was going to say the same. Honestly I wouldn't be happy if I was paying my way in a shared house and someone else had a guest continuously over. If they paid a share towards electric and gas I'd have less of a problem, otherwise I don't really want to be bankrolling someone's SO costs.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Agree that other flatmates will be your biggest issue. The landlord shouldn't be able to tell you're living there, especially if you don't sit around the house in your PJs during the inspection :P (still not proof but might make him suspicious!) - he's not going to be going through your partner's stuff or anything. There was a thread a few days back about someone who'd flatmates had all agreed some guys girlfriend could move in but he was planning on reporting them to the landlord as he felt no one cared that he didn't want her there. Make sure everyone is happy and then make sure you keep them that way... as the 'extra' you will be under more pressure not to do anthing to annoy the rest. Pay towards the bills, don't make a mess, take a share of the cleaning etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (44)
72.13%
In the post (2)
3.28%
Text (7)
11.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
13.11%

Watched Threads