iram_b
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone give some tips and advice on writing an grade A response for Othello. Like how would I structure it and what will I include?
shutupgeorgia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the introduction I would mention context (Elizabethan Era- maybe mention patriarchal society if it fits the question) and also introduce the idea that Othello has a tragic structure to tick structure immediately. If you're given an extract (I'm assuming you will be), then use the first paragraph to highlight and specifically analyse quotes that stand out to you, making sure they fit the statement, question or theme given in the title, and also try to give other interpretations of the quotes.
So "my far warrior" could be interpreted as proof that Othello sees his wife as an equal to him (against typical patriarchal views- context *ding ding*) or alternatively could show his inability to separate his military career from his relationship, reiterated by him carrying out his wife's murder alike an execution in the death scene.
In the second paragraph, use your points from the extract as well as any themes underlined to compare them with the rest of the play, explicitly referring to the change in Othello through Iago's manipulation etc.
Then continue to expand on the rest of the play, always keeping the question/theme/title in mind, repeating language used in the title to explicitly answer the question.
HUBRIS. Hubris hubris hubris. His pride is his tragic flaw that leads to his downfall. Discuss his insecurity and pride in the "sieges" and the Romantic notion of himself in his head, and discuss his insecurities stemming from him being an outsider. Desdemona embodies all that he has achieved as a black General in racist Venice.
Mention how Cyprus is a military island, and so Desdemona takes refuge in Emelia because she is the only woman (other than Bianca who D would not associate herself with considering she is clearly a prostitute). Emelia and Desdemona's relationship is the only one to be secure enough to last the entire play! Discuss how although she betrayed her mistress with the handkerchief because of her loyalty to her husband, ultimately Emelia defies Iago and dies by her mistress' side.
Be confident. Know your quotes, know your points. You can do this, I know you can.
Structure. Context. Analysing language until you want to shout at scream at Shakespeare's thesaurus. Repeat patriarchal society until you feel like a social justice warrior. Discuss Othello's race.
But most of all answer the question. It's all well and good me saying discuss Othello's race or Emelia and Desdemona's relationship.. but it has to answer the question. Always have different interpretations throughout your answer, but in the conclusion answer the question and refer to your points. It's always good to have a different interpretation in the conclusion so you don't have to worry that you're just repeating yourself.
Good luck! I'm guessing you're sitting the English Lit A exam tomorrow?
ctm2199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shutupgeorgia)
In the introduction I would mention context (Elizabethan Era- maybe mention patriarchal society if it fits the question) and also introduce the idea that Othello has a tragic structure to tick structure immediately. If you're given an extract (I'm assuming you will be), then use the first paragraph to highlight and specifically analyse quotes that stand out to you, making sure they fit the statement, question or theme given in the title, and also try to give other interpretations of the quotes.
So "my far warrior" could be interpreted as proof that Othello sees his wife as an equal to him (against typical patriarchal views- context *ding ding*) or alternatively could show his inability to separate his military career from his relationship, reiterated by him carrying out his wife's murder alike an execution in the death scene.
In the second paragraph, use your points from the extract as well as any themes underlined to compare them with the rest of the play, explicitly referring to the change in Othello through Iago's manipulation etc.
Then continue to expand on the rest of the play, always keeping the question/theme/title in mind, repeating language used in the title to explicitly answer the question.
HUBRIS. Hubris hubris hubris. His pride is his tragic flaw that leads to his downfall. Discuss his insecurity and pride in the "sieges" and the Romantic notion of himself in his head, and discuss his insecurities stemming from him being an outsider. Desdemona embodies all that he has achieved as a black General in racist Venice.
Mention how Cyprus is a military island, and so Desdemona takes refuge in Emelia because she is the only woman (other than Bianca who D would not associate herself with considering she is clearly a prostitute). Emelia and Desdemona's relationship is the only one to be secure enough to last the entire play! Discuss how although she betrayed her mistress with the handkerchief because of her loyalty to her husband, ultimately Emelia defies Iago and dies by her mistress' side.
Be confident. Know your quotes, know your points. You can do this, I know you can.
Structure. Context. Analysing language until you want to shout at scream at Shakespeare's thesaurus. Repeat patriarchal society until you feel like a social justice warrior. Discuss Othello's race.
But most of all answer the question. It's all well and good me saying discuss Othello's race or Emelia and Desdemona's relationship.. but it has to answer the question. Always have different interpretations throughout your answer, but in the conclusion answer the question and refer to your points. It's always good to have a different interpretation in the conclusion so you don't have to worry that you're just repeating yourself.
Not op but This was a lot of help! Are you sitting the paper too tomorrow and if so what texts are you doing?
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ctm2199)
Not op but This was a lot of help! Are you sitting the paper too tomorrow and if so what texts are you doing?
I'm sitting it tomorrow, yep I'm doing Gatsby + Poetry, Othello and an Unseen. How about you?
xxx-ooo-xxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sitting it tomorrow, yep I'm doing Gatsby + Poetry, Othello and an Unseen. How about you?
We're doing exactly the same!! How do you think you'll do?
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
We're doing exactly the same!! How do you think you'll do?
I think it'll go alright, I'm fairly confident in content just quite worried about timing! I've been typing emails to my teacher which isn't great for timing practise xD
How about you?
Tallat00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thank you so much for this! Really appreciated! Only if you have time, would you please be able to explain the point "Discuss his insecurity and pride in the "sieges" and the Romantic notion of himself in his head"

Good luck to you reading this. yes YOU!
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tallat00)
Thank you so much for this! Really appreciated! Only if you have time, would you please be able to explain the point "Discuss his insecurity and pride in the "sieges" and the Romantic notion of himself in his head"

Good luck to you reading this. yes YOU!
His insecurities and excessive pride are side by side, one moment he'll say "i have not the soft parts of conversation that chamberers have" and that he's "declined in the vale of years", yet the next he's telling himself it is just "the plague of great ones" and that he's "prerogatived" (privileged) in life.
you can either argue that he is proud and confident and that Iago simply manipulates his thoughts to become insecure, or you can argue that he has always been deeply insecure (race, age, education..).
His "sieges" of "hair-breadth escapes" and the travelling etc that wooed Desdemona in the first place can be argued to be completely and utterly made up, to be simply fantastical lies that he created to elevate himself from a poor and black man in Venice. Most critics argue that the stories are fictitious, and some say that Shakespeare shows Othello himself to genuinely believe the nonsense he says about himself, showing the self inflated Romantic Hero notion he has of himself.
Does that make any sense?
Tallat00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
His insecurities and excessive pride are side by side, one moment he'll say "i have not the soft parts of conversation that chamberers have" and that he's "declined in the vale of years", yet the next he's telling himself it is just "the plague of great ones" and that he's "prerogatived" (privileged) in life.
you can either argue that he is proud and confident and that Iago simply manipulates his thoughts to become insecure, or you can argue that he has always been deeply insecure (race, age, education..).
His "sieges" of "hair-breadth escapes" and the travelling etc that wooed Desdemona in the first place can be argued to be completely and utterly made up, to be simply fantastical lies that he created to elevate himself from a poor and black man in Venice. Most critics argue that the stories are fictitious, and some say that Shakespeare shows Othello himself to genuinely believe the nonsense he says about himself, showing the self inflated Romantic Hero notion he has of himself.
Does that make any sense?
Thank you for explaining! I like the multiple interpretations there
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tallat00)
Thank you for explaining! I like the multiple interpretations there
No worries, and good luck!
And best of luck to everyone else too
FAKhokhar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sitting this paper tomorrow. I'm doing Othello, Unseen then for comparison The Awakening by Kate Chopin and poetry (both Pre-1900). Best of luck everyone, I know you will do great!
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it'll go alright, I'm fairly confident in content just quite worried about timing! I've been typing emails to my teacher which isn't great for timing practise xD
How about you?
Very much the same, not nearly enough time in the exam in my opinion... thinking about maybe just spending 50 mins on the unseen and spending an extra few minutes on Gatsby and Othello or something Are you revising all the poems in the anthology or just choosing a few that you know you could do really well?
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very much the same, not nearly enough time in the exam in my opinion... thinking about maybe just spending 50 mins on the unseen and spending an extra few minutes on Gatsby and Othello or something Are you revising all the poems in the anthology or just choosing a few that you know you could do really well?
I've found after doing essays that generally Who So List To Hount, Non Sum Qualis, The Scrutiny and Sonnet 116 are the normal poems that are chosen.
My teachers have made us use three poems in every essay, and that's helped quotes/remembering structure points.
I've been doing an essay a day just about for a week or so, and also rereading through some essays I've written previously.
Is it the writing of the essay or the time taken to write a plan that is worrying you? I feel as though writing an essay in an hour is definitely long enough but I'm not looking forward to trying to plan and write in that time xD
How about you?
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've found after doing essays that generally Who So List To Hount, Non Sum Qualis, The Scrutiny and Sonnet 116 are the normal poems that are chosen.
My teachers have made us use three poems in every essay, and that's helped quotes/remembering structure points.
I've been doing an essay a day just about for a week or so, and also rereading through some essays I've written previously.
Is it the writing of the essay or the time taken to write a plan that is worrying you? I feel as though writing an essay in an hour is definitely long enough but I'm not looking forward to trying to plan and write in that time xD
How about you?
Damn, I wish I'd been able to do a load of essays but my teachers haven't given us any questions to use so I haven't been able to

Time taken to write a plan I think, but also I like to really develop my points and write pretty long paragraphs so I always leave frustrated with how few of my ideas I manage to get down
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn, I wish I'd been able to do a load of essays but my teachers haven't given us any questions to use so I haven't been able to

Time taken to write a plan I think, but also I like to really develop my points and write pretty long paragraphs so I always leave frustrated with how few of my ideas I manage to get down
Oh! Damn I know it's late, but do you want one or two titles that I've been given? Although you might not have time to write them, even just planning and linking points would probably prove very useful.
I know what you mean, I always walk out of the exam hall with a few phrases that I regret not including, and my conclusions often end up a bit muddled (if i even have time for them!) because I want to condense points.
How did you do last year?
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh! Damn I know it's late, but do you want one or two titles that I've been given? Although you might not have time to write them, even just planning and linking points would probably prove very useful.
I know what you mean, I always walk out of the exam hall with a few phrases that I regret not including, and my conclusions often end up a bit muddled (if i even have time for them!) because I want to condense points.
How did you do last year?
If that's okay, I'd appreciate that so much!
I got a high A, kicking myself about the fact that it doesn't count towards the grade this year yourself?
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If that's okay, I'd appreciate that so much!
I got a high A, kicking myself about the fact that it doesn't count towards the grade this year yourself?
The same no worries! I'd love to help
I wish the coursework was more than 20% too

This is some of the list my teachers have given me
Compare how authors of two texts you have studied present:
Obsessive love
Barriers to love
Love as a destructive force
Unrequited love as a source of suffering
The impact that social class and wealth have on love
Misogyny and the marginalisation of women
Romantic love
The impact of pursuing forbidden love
Attitudes towards fidelity

I hope this helps!
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The same no worries! I'd love to help
I wish the coursework was more than 20% too

This is some of the list my teachers have given me
Compare how authors of two texts you have studied present:
Obsessive love
Barriers to love
Love as a destructive force
Unrequited love as a source of suffering
The impact that social class and wealth have on love
Misogyny and the marginalisation of women
Romantic love
The impact of pursuing forbidden love
Attitudes towards fidelity

I hope this helps!
Yeah so do I what do you get in your coursework? What did you do it on?

Thank you so much!!!
shutupgeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah so do I what do you get in your coursework? What did you do it on?

Thank you so much!!!
You're very welcome!
I got an A in the coursework- I compared Tom Tulliver from The Mill On The Floss with Michael Henchard from The Mayor Of Casterbridge and discussed whether they were essentially flawed characters.
I did it last minute and well past the due date, but I did it
How about you?
AnilaTahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys does anyone know have any idea what the question could be based upon. My teacher said it may be how women are presented.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads