Teenage Hype
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf

question 2b i

Why is it that if an electron has insufficiect KE to excite an orbital electron, it will not transfer energy? Wouldn't it still transfer the energy it does have?

Confused...
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)

question 2b i

Why is it that if an electron has insufficiect KE to excite an orbital electron, it will not transfer energy? Wouldn't it still transfer the energy it does have?

Confused...

This is one of the “confusing” features in Quantum theory or Physics.

One of the necessary conditions for transfer of energy in the “inelastic” collision between the incoming electron and orbital electron is that the amount energy transfer must be equal to the energy difference between two energy levels (original level and excited level).

Name:  Energy_level_01.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  5.3 KB

If you look at the energy diagram above, the orbital electron in the ground purple energy level can be excited to the blue or red energy level but not in between, because the energy level is "quantized".
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One more thing if you have answered 2(a) or understand 2(a) answers, it should not be too difficult to understand the answer for 2(b)(i).
Teenage Hype
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
This is one of the “confusing” features in Quantum theory or Physics.

One of the necessary conditions for transfer of energy in the “inelastic” collision between the incoming electron and orbital electron is that the amount energy transfer must be equal to the energy difference between two energy levels (original level and excited level).

Name:  Energy_level_01.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  5.3 KB

If you look at the energy diagram above, the orbital electron in the ground purple energy level can be excited to the blue or red energy level but not in between, because the energy level is "quantized".
Thanks dude!
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)

question 2b i

Confused...
It will transfer that energy, but it will not excite the electron. The electron will just wobble around a bit to get rid of the excess energy

(Original post by OGGUS)
x

Posted from TSR Mobile
OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)
It will transfer that energy, but it will not excite the electron. The electron will just wobble around a bit to get rid of the excess energy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads