Feminism - disagree or agree? A message I wrote on another post recently.

Watch
Adam25
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Feminism as a movement in itself certainly has it's merits and is probably a good thing. Helping reach an equal status for all social groups is a positive thing and an important social issue.

However, one problem in the movement that many recognise nowadays is the female superiority that some seek to achieve, either through ignoring, belittling, or sometimes even negative actions towards male counterparts. That in itself is something that I really disagree with, and feel that it is important to stop a female power or superiority as much as it is deemed important to stop a male power or superiority.
I think this issue perhaps stems from new feminists not understanding the struggle for equality, or mainly because of the name itself 'feminism'. I think a movement created to achieve equality for both genders is something that would be admirable and positive with a new term for it like how 'equalism' exists today. The efforts to achieve equalism rather than feminism would create a more positive vibe and message to the whole movement of equality

I also very much diagree with the quotas that are sometimes placed today to say that for instance '40% of the board have to be women', this fails to recognise the best working solutions and progress of something like the economy results as the opportunity cost. This also fails to properly give the stimulus for females and a society as a whole to advance.
I think the main problem there is the instead of a EQUALITY OF REPRESENTATION, an EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY needs to be pursued, to ensure that females have the same chances, but ensure the best people is picked regardless.

Lastly, I think it is important to recognise that men and women have different strengths and adapted abilities, that can be better enhanced rather than diminished or forgotten, and to not fully discourage conventional routes as well, as that may actually be the choice of some. It is also important to realise that gender equality has more or less been achieved in developed countries, and that should be celebrated, and the main focus can be allowed to shift in these countries, and focus of feminism or equalism can be shifted to countries where it is really needed, taking into consideration, people's opinions and cultures in those countries as well

Hope I've not offended anyone but that is just my beliefs
uw0tm9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Feminism as an ideology = disagree.
Men and women having equal rights = agree, goes without saying.

A lot of ideologies are based on noble goal but that doesn't make the ideology noble itself, especially when put in practice e.g. various political ideologies that what economic equality between citizens.

Edit: OP, you have a Canadian flag so am I right to assume you're Canadian? If yes, then what are your opinions on your PM and on this https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-by-2022.html. In all honestly, I despise it and dislike him very much. He's an outright sexist.
Adam25
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by uw0tm9)
Feminism as an ideology = disagree.
Men and women having equal rights = agree, goes without saying.

A lot of ideologies are based on noble goal but that doesn't make the ideology noble itself, especially when put in practice e.g. various political ideologies that what economic equality between citizens.

Edit: OP, you have a Canadian flag so am I right to assume you're Canadian? If yes, then what are your opinions on your PM and on this https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-by-2022.html. In all honestly, I despise it and dislike him very much. He's an outright sexist.
Personally, I very much like Trudeau, he is a good representative of the country, and i tend to agree with most of his polices. He's certainly better than a lot of other big countries leaders' and the stances he's taking I think is because he feels a big responsibility for Canada to do these things now as the article states : “Canada has stepped forward and said ‘now is our time to play a leadership role globally.’” . It also comes after the USA and the Paris Agreement fiasco that has happened I think. Also, it says “When women and girls are given equal opportunities to succeed" which is my initial belief of what is the right course is.

Having said that, I do feel that some policies of his do sometimes verge on being too liberal, and I think if, as the article says, that 95% of development assistance aid is towards gender equality and empowering girls, that I obviously feel may be a too extreme step, as other forms of development can be funded towards aid. Of course, in developing countries there needs to be a development for all in the society, male and female, and a sole focus on females may be the wrong approach, and there are bigger problems present than gender equality anyways. In theory, what he wants to achieve in gender equality I suppose is right, but not the pure focus on females nor a huge funding percentage towards gender equality. But it is just speculation and forecasts so far, so we'll see how it is implemented in the future.

And thank you for the reply, and the thought provoking question and topic, and I suppose what you say is true about the goals and ideologies differing, in which case I suppose the goal may be a watered down compromise of the ideology, maybe? I don't really know much about feminism as an ideology and it's origins anyways. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (121)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed