Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, planning to re-apply to ucas this september, as i decided i wanted to go travelling, and decided that i didnt want to go to portsmouth, as i wanted to live away (ive lived in portsmouth all my life). well anyway, my first decision is whether to do business management or business economics. was hoping sum1 with some experience in the 2 give me ur opinions, i know business economics is more like economics with business extensions, thogh i can handle economics.

My second decision is where to go!? ive emailed most of the unis i plan on applying to, but still my job is a hard one. in no particular order...

Surrey
    Essex
    Reading
    Sheffield
    Sussex
    Aston
    Exeter
    keele
    Liverpool

Obviously i wont be applying to ALL those unis's but some help narrowing it down would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    My ratings:
    Surrey - average
    Essex - ok
    Reading - good
    Sheffield - great
    Sussex - fair
    Aston - very good
    Exeter - alright
    keele - nice
    Liverpool - worlds finest institution known to man.

Where are you going travelling?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Surrey this year. I am doing Aerospace engineering so i can't help with the course, but what i can say is the compus is amazing, also it is all on site aswell. Most of it is a newly built campus. The other students there are very pleasant and considerate. Also the tutors are also very nice to be around. The general vibe from the place is that people there are good friends and that it is a well looked after uni. The atmosphere is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Surreys in a great location and the campus seemed very nice and compact when i had a look.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, im going through europe them to Oz for a few months, be back just in time for Uni

i get the general impression that surrey is a nice place and hear its good for engineering and business, but how good!

cheers for the feedback so far, any more?

ReputationRep:
    As someone from the ignorant outside world, I've only ever heard of Aston and Sheffield being mentioned by people... but then again I'd never heard of Loughborough until a few months ago.

You should drop by Borneo on your way to Aussieland! We've got no social life... but lots of trees?

ReputationRep:
    exeter uni is well worth an application.

ReputationRep:
    trees ey? what kind of trees? are they good trees? i must say im intrigued to your offer, tree hunting in borneo would certainly be an experience! what the hell, screw the dolphins, its tree time!

hehe, just kidding, my route is not set in stone yet, god knows where ill end up, its certainly something i want to do though, will be nice to have something to talk about and some bit of freedom to hold onto before being tied down for 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix)
    Hi all, planning to re-apply to ucas this september, as i decided i wanted to go travelling, and decided that i didnt want to go to portsmouth, as i wanted to live away (ive lived in portsmouth all my life). well anyway, my first decision is whether to do business management or business economics. was hoping sum1 with some experience in the 2 give me ur opinions, i know business economics is more like economics with business extensions, thogh i can handle economics.

My second decision is where to go!? ive emailed most of the unis i plan on applying to, but still my job is a hard one. in no particular order...

Surrey
    Essex
    Reading
    Sheffield
    Sussex
    Aston
    Exeter
    keele
    Liverpool

Obviously i wont be applying to ALL those unis's but some help narrowing it down would be very much appreciated!
    Not that I'm biased or anything, but I heard Sheffield is really good in terms of reputation and location.

Have you considered applying to London universities like KCL, UCL, etc?

What are your current grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix)
    trees ey? what kind of trees? are they good trees? i must say im intrigued to your offer, tree hunting in borneo would certainly be an experience! what the hell, screw the dolphins, its tree time!

hehe, just kidding, my route is not set in stone yet, god knows where ill end up, its certainly something i want to do though, will be nice to have something to talk about and some bit of freedom to hold onto before being tied down for 3 years!
    BIG trees. I have such a way with words Brunei's a hole. But outdoorsy people love it because you can climb trees and hills and go look at monkey's... we have monkey's running around our football field on a daily basis.

Very offtopic but I felt the need to answer your question about trees!
    I'm a gappie too, working til February then trying to get a place at an orang utan reserve to do some volunteer work.

ReputationRep:
    im also working until feb. hehe i love monkeys, but im used to big trees (not the only one who has ways with words!)

but anyway back on topic! more opinions please, and also some natter on the courses would be nice

ReputationRep:
    I cant help with info about the course sorry, but i will suggest visiting all the unis. I applied to universities where I'd never even been to the place, let alone visited the department I wanted to study at. Then when I visited them I managed to narrow my choices down A LOT because i really didnt like the places. You have 6 places to apply to, don't waste them by not at least knowing a bit about the place, preferably have already visited it. Go on the open days, but if that isn't possible just go and have a look round on any random day. Particularly in the case of campus universities you'll get a feel for what the average day would be like if you were studying there. Of course you need to look into the course as well but Im sure visiting places will help you decide which ones to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, ill def be visiting everywher i want to go, scope out the places. Just after opinions on the actual unis, the tutors will talk up everything so its difficult to get an unbiased opinion. And as many have said, league tables are generally BS and unreliable. so u guys are my eyes and my ears!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix)
    yeh, ill def be visiting everywher i want to go, scope out the places. Just after opinions on the actual unis, the tutors will talk up everything so its difficult to get an unbiased opinion. And as many have said, league tables are generally BS and unreliable. so u guys are my eyes and my ears!
    Well i dont know much about any of these. But this is the order from "best" to "worst" (in my opinion from what i've heard about them)....

Sheffield
    Exeter
    Reading
    Surrey
    Liverpool
    Essex
    keele
    Sussex
    Aston

In the case of Sheffield and Exeter, I know two people who are now at Cambridge who had those two as their insurance so they can't be half bad.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    sheffield, exeter, and possibly reading are the best of the bunch in terms of overall reputation.

IMO ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    For business:

Sheffield
    Aston
    Essex
    Reading
    Liverpool
    Exeter
    Keele (i think they make ug's take double honours, can weaken the amount of detail on the course)
    Surrex
    Surrey

Mainly my opinion but sheffield and aston are definetly the stand outs there

ReputationRep:
    i was under the impression surrey had a good business school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix)
    i was under the impression surrey had a good business school?
    A lot of people have heard about Surrey but have not really looked at them very closely (possibly put off by the prospectus, as it is not the most proffesional looking one). However Surrey is a very good uni, up there with Manchester, Southampton etc...(Although unis excel in different areas a lot of the time) However the intake Surrey takes each year is not as great as other larger unis, perhaps that is another reason?

ReputationRep:
    Reading is the Best... altho im biased so :P

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.