urgurlbecca
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to start an unofficial mark scheme please tell me any answers you can remember or correct me if I'm wrong (I can edit when I get back from my history exam). As you can tell these are in the wrong order.

What I remember:
P1
1.a.) suitable diagram of wave being diffracted (2)
b.) less diffraction would occur so the wavefront will be less curved (1)
2. - What floor to use in room A and why . What floor to use in room B and why. I put tile for room A and wool for room B because tile is a good conductor so will heat up the room and wool is a good insulator so heat is transferred less readily to the floor meaning the floor stays cold but the rest of the room remains warm. (6)
3.a.) Light pulses that are either on or off and last a certain length of time are used to represent all the letters+numbers, this can be decoded by stations far away (2)
b.) light pulses are either on or off, digital signals only take two values (1)
4. Suitable diagram
Infrared wave hits boundary between core and outer-cladding at an angle greater than the critical angle for the material which causes the wave to totally internally reflect through the narrow core and emerge out at the other end (3)
4. 2.2 x 10^14 (2)
5. a.) Signal loss due to physical obstructions such as hills (1)
b.) Could be avoided by positioning mobile phone masts closer together (1)
6. Lots of mobile phone masts mean less signal loss but increase exposure to any damaging effects (2)
7. Power = voltage x current, to transmit a lot of power you need a high voltage or current but high current means a lot of energy is wasted as heat due to resistance of cables so a high voltage is used instead (2)
8. Graph for boiling would have been a line with a flat spot and then another line, the energy is used to break intermolecular bonds rather than raise temp. here (1)

P2
1.a.) I think it was like the toaster (1)
b.) I think it was the fridge (1)
c) cost of aplliance = 96p (2)
2. a.) Time period of the wave was something like 4 seconds (1)
b.) Peak voltage was 30 volts I believe (1)
3. Six mark question you had to state three similarities and three differences. I wrote:
In both cases the radiation is short wavelength so gets absorbed
In both cases the radiation emitted is L O N G E R wavelength
In passive solar heating this means it gets reflected back by the glass, in the greenhouse effect this means greenhouse gases absorb and reradiate the heat in all directions
Both processes work to heat and trap heat
Passive solar heating is often used to heat water for domestic purposes, the greenhouse effect stopd the earth losing too much heat and increases global temp
Passive solar heating also includes a house designed to keep warm - it can be designed so that their south facing windows are large so the walls and floor can absorb as much heat as possible during the day and this is reradiated back out in the night so it keeps the house warm
The greenhouse effect and Passive solar heating have the same process of heating
The radiation is 'trapped' in both which causes heating.
Greenhouse effect is a much larger scale, greenhouse gases contribute to effect in ONLY the greenhouse effect. (6)
4. Lifecycle of a star:
Protostar
And then for the first bit it would be planetary nebula+white dwarf
And for the second bit it would be supernova+ neutron star/black hole (3)
5. Centripetal force is provided by gravity (gravitational force of attraction between earth+the moon) (1)
6. she is wrong about the atmospphere defleccting most neos, and about jupiter's gravitational attraction preventing many NEOs from reaching the earth and something else (3)

P3
1. a.) Higher fuel consumption, higher the amount of emissions produced. And the greater the amounts of seats generally the higher the fuel consumption. (2)
b.) CAR D would be best as it has the lowest fuel consumption (its in km/l), travels further on the same amount of fuel so uses up lesss fuel which costs money so in turn saves money (1)
c.) Should be accurate and independently tested so as to give the consumer unbiased information for them to come to an informed decision (idk if this is right) (1)
2. The deformation of the car increases the time taken for a change in momentum. This reduces the force as force = change in momentum over time. It also helps absorb some of the kinetic energy of the moving car (3)
3. One thing that affects thinking distance could be things like being under the influence of alcohol (1)
4. One thing that affects stopping distance could be things like road conditions (wet, icy etc.) (1)
5. This sign means that there isn't enough distance between your car and the car in front meaning you don't have distance to stop safely which could result in a crash (1)
6.A to B is maximum acceleration. This is due to the force of gravity. At B acceleration slows due to air resistance. C shows terminal velocity and the highest constant speed as the air resistance and weight of the object being pulled down by gravity balance out and an equilibrium causes the speed to stay constant. (6)
7. Force acting was 6250 N (2)
8. Acceleration of the bus was 1.25 m/s^2 (2)
9. Time was 20 m/s (1)
10. Gravitational field strength varies on top of a mountain (1)
Skidushe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
.4 seconds for the time period
the last page was something like
6250N
1.25m/s^2
20s
On a mountain
oseojeikere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think question 2 is right. I hope so because that's what I put 😭
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by oseojeikere)
I think question 2 is right. I hope so because that's what I put 😭
Funny story - I wrote two answers to that six mark question and crossed out the first one in the last five minutes, it was the most tense moment of my life, I swear to God I hope we're right
wonwoos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
f.... I FAILED.
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonwoos)
f.... I FAILED.
the six mark questions were so disgusting and that girl always on about NEOs ANNOYED ME

I hope the grade boundaries are low
oseojeikere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by urgurlbecca)
Funny story - I wrote two answers to that six mark question and crossed out the first one in the last five minutes, it was the most tense moment of my life, I swear to God I hope we're right
Yeah I was a bit confused at first but then I understood it. Fingers crossed 😭
metamorphic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you guys think grade boundaries will be like?
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by metamorphic)
What do you guys think grade boundaries will be like?
Possibly 60-65 for an A*?
metamorphic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Possibly 60-65 for an A*?
Well dam that's pretty high... especially as I think I may have messed up the last 6 marker by saying that gravity created a thrust force on the object, which idek if that's correct.
123school456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many marks do you reckon for an A? 48? R

Posted from TSR Mobile
yaiix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The last six marker wasnt a roller coaster track , it was a diagram showing terminal velocity...right?
naem071
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yaiix)
The last six marker wasnt a roller coaster track , it was a diagram showing terminal velocity...right?
Same, I thought it was to do with weight and air resistance, it was an object being dropped.
DeepInTheMeadow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want to start an unofficial mark scheme please tell me any answers you can remember or correct me if I'm wrong (I can edit when I get back from my history exam). As you can tell these are in the wrong order.

What I remember:
P1
1.a.) suitable diagram of wave being diffracted (1)
b.) less diffraction would occur so the wavefront will be less curved (1)
2. - What floor to use in room A and why . What floor to use in room B and why. (I put tile for room A and wool for room B because tile is a good conductor so will heat up the room and wool is a good insulator so heat is transferred less readily to the floor meaning the floor stays cold but the rest of the room remains warm. I AM 100% SURE IM WRONG I THINK I LOST 6 MARKS HERE) (6)
3.a.) Light pulses that are either on or off and last a certain length of time are used to represent all the letters+numbers, this can be decoded by stations far away (2)
b.) light pulses are either on or off, digital signals only take two values (1)
4. I think this was the wave frequency question I got an answer im 100% sure is wrong (0.000000000000022) (2)
5. a.) Signal loss due to physical obstructions such as hills (1)
b.) Could be avoided by positioning mobile phone masts closer together (1)
6. Lots of mobile phone masts mean less signal loss but increase exposure to any damaging effects (2)

P2
1.a.) I think it was like the toaster (1)
b.) I think it was the fridge (1)
2. a.) Time period of the wave was something like 0.4 seconds (1)
b.) Peak voltage was 30 volts I believe (1)
3. Six mark question you had to state three similarities and three differences. I wrote:
In both cases the radiation is short wavelength so gets absorbed
In both cases the radiation emitted is L O N G E R wavelength
In passive solar heating this means it gets reflected back by the glass, in the the greenhouse effect this means greenhouse gases absorb and reradiate the heat in all directions
Both processes work to heat and trap heat
Passive solar heating is often used to heat water for domestic purposes, the greenhouse effect stopd the earth losing too much heat and increases global temp (6)
4. Lifecycle of a star:
Protostar
And then for the first bit it would be white dwarf+planetary nebula
And for the second bit it would be supernova+ neutron star/black hole (3)

P3
1. a.) Higher fuel consumption, higher the amount of emissions produced. And the greater the amounts of seats generally the higher the fuel consumption. (2)
b.) Car C would be best as it has the lowest fuel consumption, travels further on the same amount of fuel so uses up lesss fuel which costs money so in turn saves money (1)
c.) Should be accurate and independently tested so as to give the consumer unbiased information for them to come to an informed decision (idk if this is right) (1)
2. The deformation of the car increases the time taken for a change in momentum. This reduces the force as force = change in momentum over time. It also helps absorb some of the kinetic energy of the moving car (3)
3. One thing that affects thinking distance could be things like being under the influence of alcohol (1)
4. One thing that affects stopping distance could be things like road conditions (wet, icy etc.) (1)
5. This sign means that there isn't enough distance between your car and the car in front meaning you don't have distance to stop safely which could result in a crash (1)
6. At position A the object has maximum gpe and minimum ke. From A to B the object accelerates due to unbalanced forces (gravity force downwards greater than air resistance upwards). GE converted to kinetic energy. As speed increases so does air resistance. This means object starts to slow down between positions B and C. At position C the object has minimum GPE and maximum KE. It's also reached terminal velocity- all the forces are balanced so it has reached its maximum speed. (6)
7. Force acting was 6250 N (2)
8. Acceleration of the bus was 1.25 m/s^2 (2)
9. Time was 20 seconds (1)
10. Gravitational field strength varies on top of a mountain (1)
11. NEOS question - I think I got this wrong I said
a.) Telescopes not used to look for NEOs as they are too small and dark (I know this is wrong what was the better alternative)
b.) NEOs are not deflected by atmosphere, although they burn up sometimes larger ones could pass through
c.) something else I dont remember (3)
Wasn't the acceleration one -1.25 because it went from moving to stationary which is negative acceleration? For Question 2: I got ceramic tile for the underfloor heating one, and woolen carpet for non underfloor heating. The ball being dropped used SUVAT and was 20m/s at the end.
Wave frequency was 2.2 x 10^14.
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
Wasn't the acceleration one -1.25 because it went from moving to stationary which is negative acceleration? For Question 2: I got ceramic tile for the underfloor heating one, and woolen carpet for non underfloor heating. The ball being dropped used SUVAT and was 20m/s at the end.
I remember getting that too. I might have read it accidentally as 2.2x10^-14.
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by metamorphic)
Well dam that's pretty high... especially as I think I may have messed up the last 6 marker by saying that gravity created a thrust force on the object, which idek if that's correct.
No that's right, gravity was the force downwards which caused the object to accelerate.
And yeah but the grade boundaries are bound to be high as we're the last year of the spec unfortunately
DeepInTheMeadow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No that's right, gravity was the force downwards which caused the object to accelerate.
And yeah but the grade boundaries are bound to be high as we're the last year of the spec unfortunately
What's your prediction for an A*? I'm thinking at least 65-68?
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
(Original post by yaiix)
Yeah it was an object being dropped but I still mentioned GPE due to its height above the ground could be wrong, and the forces are still gravity and air resistance because the objects was being dropped down in the air wasn't it
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
Also didn't the bus start off stationary? I remember writing 0 for u using SUVAT which is what gave me the answer 1.25 m/s^2
urgurlbecca
Rep:
?
What's your prediction for an A*? I'm thinking at least 65-68?
Considering this paper wasn't easy but nor was it hard and also that we're the last year on the spec I'd say 65 is a reasonable bet
What I'm dreading the most is the chemistry grade boundaries because I know they're going to be so much higher than this physics paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (643)
48.53%
No (682)
51.47%

Watched Threads