The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry: C2 - 14th June 2017 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Why sodium has high melting point?
Because there are strong electrostatic force of attaction so lots of energy is needed to break those bonds
Original post by Akshar99
Why sodium has high melting point?
Because there are strong electrostatic force of attaction so lots of energy is needed to break those bonds

I hate those tickbox questions
I have a mini debate in my head between 2 boxes and
I've lost 3 marks because i ticked the wrong one :angry:
Other than that the rest of the paper was decent
Explain why argon is used in filament bulbs instead of air.
Argon is inert (very unreative) so it prevents the hot filament to react with O2 and get burnt out
2 a) MCQ which substance gives out coloureds it was D sodium

Which salt is insoluble salt.
I think so it was lead sulfate not sure

Balanced equation of potassium in water.
2k + 2H2O --> 2K(OH) + H2

Why caesium is more reactive then lithium
Because it has more shells so the electrostatic force of attraction between negative electron and positive nucleus is weaker so it could be lost easily

4 marker about electronic configuration of oxygen and calcium.
--> calcium is a cation, it has 2 electrons in it outer shell so it losses those 2 electrons and becomes 2+ ion. Now it's electronic configuration is 2.8.8
Oxygen is a non metal it gains 2 electrons from ca and becomes 2- ion. It's electronic configuration is 2.8

2a) What was the question because the coloured cation was a different question.
Explain why argon is used in filament bulbs instead of air.
Argon is inert (very unreative) so it prevents the hot filament to react with O2 and get burnt out

My mind went blank
I defo said inert so 1 mark
I then said it prevents oxygen reacting so prevents a fire
Screenshot_20170614-114217.jpg wtf i just don't understand 12 people out of 24 thought it was 21.8 and the other 12 thought it was 31.8 , most are certain it was 21.8
Original post by OllyzairGCSE
Screenshot_20170614-114217.jpg wtf i just don't understand 12 people out of 24 thought it was 21.8 and the other 12 thought it was 31.8 , most are certain it was 21.8

It was 31.8
Original post by ChezPlayz
2a) What was the question because the coloured cation was a different question.

I guss the question was ; which transition metals forms colored compound
Reply 48
The configuration of 2.8.5
Find the group and period

Three shells so is period 3
5electrons in its outer shell so group 5

Original post by NateRiver
Any answers will be added in 1) a) Breaking bonds; energy taken in (2 Marks) b) Exothermic; products energy less than reactants; difference in height is energy released (3 Marks) c) Add catalyst; increase magnesium surface area, higher temperature of solution (2 Marks) d) More particles in the same volume/Particles are closer together; frequency of the collision increases 2) a) D - Sodium b) C - Lead Sulfate c) 2K + 2H2O 2KOH + H2 d) Caesium has more electron shells; force of attraction between negative electron and positive nucleus is weaker; so it could be lost easily e) Calcium is a cation; it has 2 electrons in its outer shell; it losses those 2 electrons and becomes 2+ ion; now it's electronic configuration is 2.8.8; oxygen gains 2 electrons from Calium and becomes 2- ion; its electronic configuration is 2.8 (4 Marks) 3) a) C - Al2(SO4)3 b) Hydrochloric Acid; Barium Chloride Solution c) C - (s) 4) a) b) 97.5 c) 1; +1 d) Cu2S e) 31.8g 5) Six Marker) Isotopes; Neon-22 has 12 neutrons; Relative Atomic Mass calculation (6 Marks) 6) a) Metallic bonds; creates a sea of delocalised electrons; electrons free to move; conducts electricity b) Dot and Cross Diagram: http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/f81332272e2264487b8e7d37212575efb8bfbef7.gif (2 Marks) c) Period 3; Group 5; Phosphorous (4 Marks) d) Giant Covalent Molecular Structures; Diamond is very hard; Each carbon atom forms four covalent bonds; Graphite is structured in layers; layers can slide over each other; graphite contains free electrons; conducts electricity (6 Marks) Multiple Choice Questions: Sulfur; Chromium; ... + 2KBr ... + Br2
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ollyzairgcse

#31.8squadddddddd
I know what they did!
They forgot to times the oxygen by 2 or vice versa to end up with 21.8
Reply 51
Grade boundaries anyone? I made silly mistakes probably dropped 15 marks like I crossed out the 2 in front of the K.
The question about what to add to test for chloride ions was dilute nitric acid and silver nitrate solution
Original post by MIKESPIKE10
The question about what to add to test for chloride ions was dilute nitric acid and silver nitrate solution

No it said test for sulphate ions. Its Barium chloride and HCl
Original post by MIKESPIKE10

No it said test for sulphate ions. Its Barium chloride and HCl

Sulpahte ion test
-HCL
- Barium chloride (solution)
I swear if u have to put solution to get the mark i'd be p*ssed
Original post by ghost.ic
grade boundaries anyone? I made silly mistakes probably dropped 15 marks like i crossed out the 2 in front of the k.

54 a*
48 a
42 b
35 c
Original post by AsianG99
I think on the mark scheme they'd put barium chloride (solution)
They don't tend to go into much detail

Yeah I agree. One of the questions in a past paper was to describe a test for the presence of chloride ions in a solution of sodium chloride and on the markscheme, they had 'add silver nitrate (solution)' so I think the same thing will apply.
Original post by AsianG99
Sulpahte ion test
-HCL
- Barium chloride (solution)
I swear if u have to put solution to get the mark i'd be p*ssed

The question said solution in bold so dont worry
Reply 58
What was the question i forgot?But im pretty sure it was Chronium
Reply 59
Original post by Zainyg
so I'm right? because I wrote Chromium. that's why I questioned Galium because I'm not sure about that one

What was the question i forgot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending