The Student Room Group

Muslims awake for Ramadan 'saved lives' in London fire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
What does their faith have to do with it, I don't get why media outlets always feel the need to include it.

exactly...
Original post by Dodgypirate

:lol: It's a Sikh temple!

Oh, the shower of utter shite that is The Independent. They'll probably have a listicle of 'Ten Temples you Have to Visit!' (sponsored content by God)
Original post by Reality Check
Oh, the shower of utter shite that is The Independent. They'll probably have a listicle of 'Ten Temples you Have to Visit!' (sponsored content by God)

The article I see mentions "Mosques, Churches and Temples open doors", not sure if it got edited. Can't see source article but I've read Al-Manaar Mosque has opened it's doors a long with St Clements Church and the Sikh Temple in the picture (not an exhaustive list).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
The article I see mentions "Mosques, churches and temples open doors", not sure if it got edited. Can't see source article but I've read Al-Manaar mosque has opened it's doors a long with St Clements Church and the Sikh Temple in the picture (not an exhaustive list).

That's great news, then. :smile: These poor people are going to need all the help they can get.
Reply 84
Original post by mashbbk
I thought I'd chime in.

Them helping out indeed was not to do with religion (directly speaking) - while them being awake may have been to do with Ramadan. Of course, that doesn't mean others weren't awake and that others did not also help.

The question then arises is, why did they bring religion or Muslims to the article? Well it's quite simple, while many of you guys are quite normal rational people, there are a lot of people who have unjustified hate against all Muslims without discrimination. All this article attempts to do is put Muslims in a positive light (especially after all the recent atrocities), to try negate that poor image of Muslims a bit, even if a tiny bit, get that "they can't integrate with society, they hate us all" image that some people unfortunately have. In a nut shell, it humanises Muslims.

"Muslims played a big part in getting a lot of people out." - but it doesn't mean others didn't.

"Most of the people I could see were Muslim. They have also been providing food and clothes." - but again, it is not to take away from non-Muslims who probably did it as well.

It is similar to how there are similar types of stories to try bog down on racism (where you'd see both black and white people helping each other in times of need) or even collaboration between Muslims and Jews (in a time where there is a lot of anti-semitism). Of course "Muslims" aren't a race and this isn't tackling racism, but it is trying to tackle a discrimination none the less. There are countless hate crimes committed against innocent Muslims unfortunately.

That is all and I think you guys all know that already, but perhaps just disagree with it - maybe you see it as people downplaying terrorism. No harm done people, carry on :smile:.

Prsom.

That's great news, then. :smile: These poor people are going to need all the help they can get.

:yy:
Original post by HAnwar
Look at all the atheists here who can't stand the fact Muslims helped. It pains them to see positive news about Muslims.
The jealously is unreal :rofl:
Good on the Muslims, hope everyone a swift recovery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

RT
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
And then helping save people`s lives?

Not to say that non muslims wouldnt have helped if they were awake, of course they would have, its just that because its this time of year more muslims were awake and so more lives were saved as a result

Slippery slope kind of point to make. "If there were less Muslims then less atrocities and deaths would have occurred in Europe".
Reply 87
Original post by mashbbk
x

I can't reply back on PMs but thanks a lot for your message. I appreciate what you said and will consider it for next time. JZK.

Double wow.

Oh for ****'s sake, do we have to bring religion into every damn thing! I couldn't give a **** about ramadan in this story - what I care about is where the hell all these people are going to be housed for the foreseeable future and how many might be dead.

I half agree. Too many people make these religion threads :yup:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Slippery slope kind of point to make. "If there were less Muslims then less atrocities and deaths would have occurred in Europe".

If there was no British empire or no christianty most of the worlds deaths probably wouldnt have happened.

I literally only meant to apply it to this situation in general though because i agree with the slippery slope argument and generalising, i meant that if there were 50 less muslims in the building, there would be 50 more non muslims who would have been probably asleep so more people to wake and less people awake to warn them.
i wasnt making a general point.
Original post by mashbbk

The question then arises is, why did they bring religion or Muslims to the article? Well it's quite simple, while many of you guys are quite normal rational people, there are a lot of people who have unjustified hate against all Muslims without discrimination. All this article attempts to do is put Muslims in a positive light (especially after all the recent atrocities), to try negate that poor image of Muslims a bit, even if a tiny bit, get that "they can't integrate with society, they hate us all" image that some people unfortunately have. In a nut shell, it humanises Muslims.

True but I think it's a lot more to do with the convenience of their fasting/waking up hours in Ramadan. It just provides more information like any news article should.

EDIT: So if this happened instead at any other time of the year and a bunch of Muslims, Christians and Atheists all helped out, I don't think this article would be written singling out Muslims.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
If there was no British empire or no christianty most of the worlds deaths probably wouldnt have happened.

Not true, most deaths have been because of malaria, but yes, you've just reiterated the absurdity of your own point.

I literally only meant to apply it to this situation in general though because i agree with the slippery slope argument and generalising, i meant that if there were 50 less muslims in the building, there would be 50 more non muslims who would have been probably asleep so more people to wake and less people awake to warn them.
i wasnt making a general point.

Yeah but it's a bit of a pointless thing to say given that their actions aren't really related to religion. Fires happen at night all the time and non-Muslims don't just sleep through them. Points like these actually tend to backfire on religious people, as we've seen on this thread, and some media outlets are also to blame by really clutching at straws to desperately spin a positive where there really isn't one. It would be far more useful to recognise the good where it's actually important and no doubt a lot of Muslims do do good, no one should deny that. But this nonsense is actually more damaging to Muslims in my opinion.
Original post by asmuse123
Incoming Islamophobes in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I love how hilarious this is but how true it is and then how sad it is....Aaah damn :laugh:
Reply 93
Proud to be a Muslim in times like these

https://youtu.be/Rssbx_pXIcc
Reply 94
I'm a muslim myself, and it beautiful to see other muslim people helping... BUT anyone who was awake would help other people at a time like this? They wouldn't just go 'Nah lets go and leave everyone behind'. I just don't feel like there is a need to make a thread about it which leads to people to dispute about absolutely nothing?
Not true, most deaths have been because of malaria, but yes, you've just reiterated the absurdity of your own point.

Yeah but it's a bit of a pointless thing to say given that their actions aren't really related to religion. Fires happen at night all the time and non-Muslims don't just sleep through them. Points like these actually tend to backfire on religious people, as we've seen on this thread, and some media outlets are also to blame by really clutching at straws to desperately spin a positive where there really isn't one. It would be far more useful to recognise the good where it's actually important and no doubt a lot of Muslims do do good, no one should deny that. But this nonsense is actually more damaging to Muslims in my opinion.

Funnily enough i was going to say most deaths due to strife because i was thinking of malaria but thought it would be weird to bring up malaria, i agree that non muslims dont tend to sleep through them but there is still the physical effort of going to wake your neighbours ( this did happen, people were asleep and neighbours woke them up as news said) so clearly more people awake, regardless of religion is a good thing in a tragedy of this type. i agree tho ,i dont see the need to act like religion had anything to do with this, it was the reason people were awake but thats all, rest was just people helping each other out ,to be expected from any decent person.
Original post by SohaXO
I'm a muslim myself, and it beautiful to see other muslim people helping... BUT anyone who was awake would help other people at a time like this? They wouldn't just go 'Nah lets go and leave everyone behind'. I just don't feel like there is a need to make a thread about it which leads to people to dispute about absolutely nothing?

Finally, someone gets it. It's just because there's so much criticism of Islam that some people will look to try and find anything to change people's perspective of Islam.
Fires happen at night all the time and non-Muslims don't just sleep through them.

I still think it was a bonus that quite a few people were already awake when it had happened.

Some people were notified later than others.

"There were reports that fire alarms in the main building did not go off, and residents were woken up and saved by neighbours banging on their doors, as well as screams of terror from others who loved in the building."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/fatalities-grenfell-tower-fire-confirmed-relatives-desperately/
The whole thing is stupid.Its a misnomer because nobody ever says that all Muslims are terrorists .The media is arguing against a straw man that does not exist.Nobody is denying that lots of Muslims are good people.But most terrorists are Muslim and their actions are inspired by Islam.Thst does not mean that all Muslims are bad people.But if they are good it's because they ignore the more hateful parts of their religion.
Original post by Robby2312
The whole thing is stupid.Its a misnomer because nobody ever says that all Muslims are terrorists .The media is arguing against a straw man that does not exist.Nobody is denying that lots of Muslims are good people.But most terrorists are Muslim and their actions are inspired by Islam.Thst does not mean that all Muslims are bad people.But if they are good it's because they ignore the more hateful parts of their religion.

Pretty much this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending