Is it possible to get better a levels than GCSEs? Watch

Aishaaaa1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For example, if you got a C In geography for GCSE, could you get an A or B for a level?

Has that happened to any of you?
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean maybe, if you're committed to the subject and your inability to do it was down to bad teaching etc. People tend not to take subjects they get C/Bs in, as far as I'm aware as it's best to pick what you're good at, but if you enjoy a subject and are committed to doing well at a level then I don't see why not.
pfdavina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes of course!
But it depends on why you got a C. It is because you were lazy, has bad teachers and didn't bother revising well?
OR
Did you try your best, have great teachers and did the best revision?
If it is the latter then I'm not sure if you could get an A. But if it is the former then sure!

No matter what you can do anything you put your mind to, but the above is just an indication...

Good luck
Aishaaaa1
Rep:
?
(Original post by pfdavina)
Yes of course!
But it depends on why you got a C. It is because you were lazy, has bad teachers and didn't bother revising well?
OR
Did you try your best, have great teachers and did the best revision?
If it is the latter then I'm not sure if you could get an A. But if it is the former then sure!

No matter what you can do anything you put your mind to, but the above is just an indication...

Good luck
It was because I was lazy and I procrastinated too much but now I am willing to work really hard

Thank you very much
Aishaaaa1
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosie.mn)
I mean maybe, if you're committed to the subject and your inability to do it was down to bad teaching etc. People tend not to take subjects they get C/Bs in, as far as I'm aware as it's best to pick what you're good at, but if you enjoy a subject and are committed to doing well at a level then I don't see why not.
Thanks
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aishaaaa1)
For example, if you got a C In geography for GCSE, could you get an A or B for a level?

Has that happened to any of you?
Got a B in GCSE Maths, all my teachers advised me not to do A level maths. Did it got an A. Literally egg on their faces You can do it definitely just put in the work CONSISTENLEY.
Aishaaaa1
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
Got a B in GCSE Maths, all my teachers advised me not to do A level maths. Did it got an A. Literally egg on their faces You can do it definitely just put in the work CONSISTENLEY.
This is exactly the motivation I need. Thank you. Did you start revising from the beginning of the year?
AsianG99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ibz Mo got 3B's and 4 C's and got A*A*A at a level
I know plenty of people who done average in gcse's and banged out a level
1. Because they're more motivated doing something they like
2. willing to put in the hard work
I also seen people who got straight A* at gcse and didn't do great at a level because they get cocky about their gcse's
Aishaaaa1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AsianG99)
Ibz Mo got 3B's and 4 C's and got A*A*A at a level
I know plenty of people who done average in gcse's and banged out a level
1. Because they're more motivated doing something they like
2. willing to put in the hard work
I also seen people who got straight A* at gcse and didn't do great at a level because they get cocky about their gcse's
Don't know who that is lol , that's very impressive though.
I think everyone knows someone like that!

Thanks
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Love this post!
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep. You just have to try extra hard to memorise the specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AsianG99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't know who that is lol , that's very impressive though.
I think everyone knows someone like that!

Thanks
He's a youtuber: Ibz Mo
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if you did badly despite trying your best it's probably still possible to get an A. Most of the time it's exam technique or poor revision methods or misunderstanding content. If you do your research, watch youtube videos and read articles about good exam technique, google and print out the specification and try hard from the beginning then you can achieve well despite your GCSE grade. Sometimes it's the fact that you've had around 20 exams and that you didn't know how to organise revision time is the reason as to why you don't do well, not your capability.
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is exactly the motivation I need. Thank you. Did you start revising from the beginning of the year?
Yh just do all the homework as soon as possible, that way you won't feel under pressure and more accomplished. For a content heavy topic like geography start revising from the start slowly, like start with 30 mins every two days then slowly increase it towards the exams
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely; if you're motivated and really, really want a better grade you absolutely can do it

I achieved a D at German GCSE and last year got an A in AS Level and depending how well my written exam goes, that might become an A* at A-Level (which would be a jump of 4 grades compared to GCSE lmao), and I attribute my success to the fact that I really honestly wanted to commit myself to the subject and do the best I can hah.
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
of course its possible

my friend wasnt challenged enough at GCSE so he was a slouch and got a bunch of B's (REALLY regrets it now as thats the only reason he cant get into oxford, shame) and now he literally gets annoyed when he gets 74/75 on maths papers XD as you can tell he's getting constant A's/A*s depending on whether or not you can get an A star.

BUT, if you're a hardworking student at GCSE too u MUST be careful as me and all my friends can agree in the long term you can easily exhaust yourself. While at GCSE i got A*AAB (taking the four best grades here) those same subjects at AS i got BBCD and at A2 im predicting ABE (physics was the B at gcse and D at AS and E at A2, it sucks, dont take it, i wish i kept biology instead)
My friends had it a lot worse so do be careful!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There was a guy on my uni' course who failed most of his GCSE's but then did a tech course followed by an HNC and got onto the degree as a mature student.

He passed with a 1st class honours.

When he went back to school for a reunion his head teacher did not believe him
username3033640
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes it's 100% possible, I got more a*'s at A-level than I did at GCSE. Also my friend who got a C at gcse geography, went on to get an A in a-level geo, and was close to the a*. It's possible if you put in the work!
username3033640
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxqTpLPWlMg&t=95s also this guy totally improved dramatically and is now at cambridge, anything is possible!
nickclement9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
same lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%