The Student Room Group

I'm in New York with BurstingBubbles, ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jiggly_puff
If you want a WOOOOOOW moment, go to Dubai.

Is Dubai like Doha? I've been there loads of times. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by shadowdweller

Hmm, does it count if they're the pwrson I travelled with? :mmm: And Bubbles says not yet, but we'll keep an eye out :tongue:

I'm sure @BurstingBubbles is pleased with that. And if you see any hot guys (especially) shirtless ones, please take and post pics
Original post by She-Ra
What were you looking at/ doing the moment you had your....

"OMG we're in New York New York" moment?

:bl:

We were on our transfer from the airport to the hotel and we saw the skyline of NY with the Empire state etc. and I just though omg this is real! And now we've been up it and are going up again tonight when it's dark too :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emerald7770
How was the aiport journey

We actually got delayed by 3 hours which was a bit of a pain! But the flight itself was pretty good, and went quickly :smile:

Even managed to watch Fantastic Beasts on the way :colone:

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Has anyone told you to "get the **** out of my way" yet? :teehee:

Surprisingly no, but give it time and I'm sure they will :lol:

Original post by Reality Check
If you're in the area, I'd stick my head into the main branch of NY Public library - it's an amazing building, and the Rose reading room is a sight, even more so when it's full. It's on 5th avenue so nice and central. Whilst you're in Manhattan, I'd just have a wander around and just take it all in - go down to Greenwich village. Oh, you're SOO lucky :angry::smile:

Definitely wanting to go to the Public Library, will try and fit that in soon :biggrin:

Greenwich village is in my travel book too, I think, so will see if we can pop over that way for a while :smile:

Original post by Kyx
I want to go to New York :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should go someday, it's fab :biggrin:

Original post by Kalail
I'm sure @BurstingBubbles is pleased with that. And if you see any hot guys (especially) shirtless ones, please take and post pics

Ahaha, we'll do our best! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arrived here late last night, and off exploring today... ask us whatever you like :tongue:

Here's one for you:
Seeing as you are posting from TSR Mobile, What are your data roaming charges/options for the USA and also internet options like where you are staying?
Original post by ClearSky
Is Dubai like Doha? I've been there loads of times. :smile:

My sister worked there a few years ago, when I went to visit it was pretty spectacular, and the food is incredible.

But my sister had to visit a few weeks ago for work and she said it has gone downhill because its too over the top now and just way too touristy.
So what's the plan for the day?

@shadowdweller
@BurstingBubbles
Arrived here late last night, and off exploring today... ask us whatever you like :tongue:

Ahhh I'm so jelly! I hope you guys are having an amazing time!
Have you been to the Rockefeller center yet? Have you have a New York breakfast? What else do you have planned?
Original post by Danny Dorito
Have you been to the Rockefeller center yet? Have you have a New York breakfast? What else do you have planned?

Shucks,
I didn't think to ask about breakfast earlier, at least someone has :smile:
I am v jelly as I can't go abroad at the moment ;-;
Original post by Ellie419
My sister worked there a few years ago, when I went to visit it was pretty spectacular, and the food is incredible.

But my sister had to visit a few weeks ago for work and she said it has gone downhill because its too over the top now and just way too touristy.

Oh, okay. So before Dubai was better and now it's slightly gone down?
Original post by ClearSky
Oh, okay. So before Dubai was better and now it's slightly gone down?

Yeah, they've built so much on it now, its just too tourist-focused. They're building a new city further away that will be more like what dubai used to be. Not quite as built up.
Original post by Ellie419
Yeah, they've built so much on it now, its just too tourist-focused. They're building a new city further away that will be more like what dubai used to be. Not quite as built up.

Ahh, okay. I will try and go there one day then. Last time I went was when I was 4!

Doha's good tho, but because of the Gulf Crisis it'll be a bit panicky there lol won't it?
Have you been to the Cheesecake Factory? :h:

Can you bring me back some cheesecake? :sadpanda:
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Here's one for you:
Seeing as you are posting from TSR Mobile, What are your data roaming charges/options for the USA and also internet options like where you are staying?

My phone actually hasn't switched over to a network for some reason, so I have no idea about roaming charges! But we have free WiFi at the hotel, and lots of the attractions offer it too :biggrin:

Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
So what's the plan for the day?

@shadowdweller
@BurstingBubbles

Today was a TV & Movie Tour of Central Park, followed by a trip to Central Park Zoo! Would highly recommend both, although the zoo was understandably a bit on the small side :tongue:

Original post by Danny Dorito

It's been pretty amazing so far, that's for sure! :love:

We've got Rockefeller Center planned in for Monday, I think! We bought a city pass, so planning to do the rest of those first; The Met, 9/11 Memorial, Statue of Liberty, and Natural History Museum are all planned in over the next few days :woo:

We've only eaten breakfast at the hotel so far, neither of us are sure what a typical breafast would be, so I'm going with 'maybe' :lol:

Bubbles says that she's eaten pretty much everything though! :tongue:

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Have you been to the Cheesecake Factory? :h:

Can you bring me back some cheesecake? :sadpanda:

We haven't yet, but we'll pick up some extra for Pandas if we go :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the weather like?
Are you seeing anything on Broadway?
How long was the flight?
Did you forget anything important?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
What's the weather like?
Are you seeing anything on Broadway?
How long was the flight?
Did you forget anything important?

It's been really sunny and quite humid so far, as we arrived at the end of a heatwave! A few spots of rain too though, and supposed to be 20s in temp for the rest of the time :smile:

I think the flight was around 7 hours, maybe a little more. So not too bad :tongue:

Nothing important that we've noticed yet... I need to buy some extra socks, but that's about it :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :woo:

As soon as I read this, I starting getting cravings for all the amazing food you'll end up having lol

What are you most looking forward to doing here?
Prepare for all the New Yorkers to fangirl once they hear your accent :lol:
Original post by SassQueen13
Haiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :woo:

As soon as I read this, I starting getting cravings for all the amazing food you'll end up having lol

What are you most looking forward to doing here?
Prepare for all the New Yorkers to fangirl once they hear your accent :lol:

Hello! :gah:

Haha, I don't blame you, the food has been pretty great so far! Especially the breakfasts :love:

I think for me it was the Statue of Liberty, which we did today - a bit of a standard one I guess, but still amazing! :biggrin:

We've had a fair few ask where we're from, but not much fangirling yet... still time though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! :gah:

Haha, I don't blame you, the food has been pretty great so far! Especially the breakfasts :love:

I think for me it was the Statue of Liberty, which we did today - a bit of a standard one I guess, but still amazing! :biggrin:

We've had a fair few ask where we're from, but not much fangirling yet... still time though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Five Guys? or are you (and /or @BurstingBubbles) allergic to nuts?
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Five Guys? or are you (and /or @BurstingBubbles) allergic to nuts?

We did spot one yesterday actually, but we've been trying to go more to places that we don't see in the UK :tongue:

It certainly seems to be! We've yet to be out at a time where it's not busy... the only thing that seems to change at night is more pretty lights :tongue:

Quick Reply