The Student Room Group

Best place for Illustration BA

I've been researching universities for the course I want to do next September - Illustration - and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any good universities, or give me a second opinion on any of the universities I've already looked into. I'd preferably like to be in a big city, and the one I currently have my sights set on is Brighton University.

I've also been thinking about Middlesex, Camberwell, Leeds, UEL, London Met and UCA. I know Plymouth, Falmouth and Norwich are all very good, but they're just a bit too 'far out' for me.

Top two are currently Middlesex and Brighton, so if anyone has an opinion/experience with either of these, that would be such a great help!

Thank you, hopefully I'll stop stressing so much about this soon!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by victoriahooover
I've been researching universities for the course I want to do next September - Illustration - and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any good universities, or give me a second opinion on any of the universities I've already looked into. I'd preferably like to be in a big city, and the one I currently have my sights set on is Brighton University.

I've also been thinking about Middlesex, Camberwell, Leeds, UEL, London Met and UCA. I know Plymouth, Falmouth and Norwich are all very good, but they're just a bit too 'far out' for me.

Top two are currently Middlesex and Brighton, so if anyone has an opinion/experience with either of these, that would be such a great help!

If you want a big city then I'd suggest looking into
http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/illustration/
https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2017/graphic-design-and-illustration
(look at Leeds College of Art as well as Leeds Beckett/Leeds uni)
https://www.eca.ed.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/illustration-ba-hons

I've also been thinking about Middlesex, Camberwell, Leeds, UEL, London Met and UCA. I know Plymouth, Falmouth and Norwich are all very good, but they're just a bit too 'far out' for me...

Hey!

I don't know much about Brighton Uni, but as a city Brighton is a really cool place, but have you thought about Birmingham as well?

I came here to do a surface design degree and like you the other uni's I looked at were great but all seemed to be in the middle of nowhere and I really couldn't imagine living there for three years! But Birmingham had everything I wanted in a big city, there's so much going on and because it's the midlands you're so central and it doesn't take long to travel anywhere in the country.

We do a course in Illustration in our School of Visual Communication, which has it's own student ran agency which means you get to work on real briefs from real clients and even get paid!
http://bcu.ac.uk/visual-communication/courses/illustration-ba-hons-2018-19

But it's really important to go to the Open Days of the places you're interested in to get a feel for what it's like to study there, but also to explore the city as well to see if you could imagine living there for 3 years.

Hope this helps! :h:
Lydia
Reply 3

I've had a lot of recommendations to go to Brighton! My old art teacher's son actually went there and he was really happy there.

I'm also considering Camberwell, LCC, Kingston, UCA (Farnham), UEL, Falmouth & Bournemouth. Totally get what you mean about the distance though - Falmouth looks amazing, but I'm slightly put off by how far out it is (I'm currently in London).

I'll definitely be leaving it up to the open days when I can get a real 'feel' for the unis to figure out what one would be right for me & my own style. Hope you're not stressing too much! I'm just worried a. what if I choose the wrong one? and b. what if I don't get accepted if it is the 'right' one? It is quite stressful stuff!

Hello,

Middlesex university is such a great place :smile: I have graduated last year and I am doing my masters now, I am loving my time here! The nice thing is that we are in London but not right in central london! It means that there is a very strong campus community life but, at the same time, you can get to central London really quickly.

We have state of art facilities and, you will have your own work space to use throughout the 3 years! At the end of your course you will also have the opportunity to showcase your work to industry experts!

Alina is currently studying Animation, she is on holiday now, but you could have a look at her thread to have a feel of what it is like to study here :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4452330

Did you manage to come and have a look at the campus and at the facilities?

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Have a great day!

Ludovica :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest