The Student Room Group

Applying for nursing and confidentiality?

Hi, I'm preparing for my selection day, and I'm wondering whether it would be a breach of confidentiality to talk about specific things I experienced whilst on my work experience at hospital?
I want to discuss specific cases I saw that illustrated to me what nursing is and what nurses do. By specific I mean "I saw a patient with X and the nurses did Y, this illustrated this quality:______"
Thanks
Original post by pineneedles
Hi, I'm preparing for my selection day, and I'm wondering whether it would be a breach of confidentiality to talk about specific things I experienced whilst on my work experience at hospital?
I want to discuss specific cases I saw that illustrated to me what nursing is and what nurses do. By specific I mean "I saw a patient with X and the nurses did Y, this illustrated this quality:______"
Thanks

Depends on how specific you are. Your example sentence there looks vague enough, make sure you don't mention patient/staff/ward/hospital/trust names, or things that could lead to identification of the patient.

You could be vaguer in your reply if you're looking at general qualities such as the 6 C's behaviours witnessed from nursing staff rather than making it about specific patients.
Original post by pineneedles
Thanks

Your example sounds fine to me.

The general rule is to avoid any names of people or places, with the aim of having the patient unidentifiable, even by someone who knows them. You should always aim to include the minimum amount of personal information possible.

You might want to look up the Caldicott principles, as these guide information governance in healthcare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending