The Student Room Group

Alternatives to veterinary science

Our daughter, year 12, hoped to study vet science. She has now been predicted 3Bs at A level. Anyone started another related undergraduate course and successfully transferred to vet science after a year? What is the most relevant course to choose? Thanks for advice! (She is particularly looking at Nottingham and Surrey)
Bioveterinary Science is a degree that can lead to post-grad veterinary science although it is not completely unheard of to switch across after first year it is by no means a guarantee and competition to do so is very steep. Even with a degree A levels are still considered though so if resits are necessary it may be the better route
Reply 2
Original post by VMD100
Bioveterinary Science is a degree that can lead to post-grad veterinary science although it is not completely unheard of to switch across after first year it is by no means a guarantee and competition to do so is very steep. Even with a degree A levels are still considered though so if resits are necessary it may be the better route

Thank you...we're not kidding ourselves that it's a sure route in by any means, and we do think she is likely to do a bit better than 3Bs but want to be on the case with options at the ready. Do you mean that a degree in Bioveterinary Sciences (ie 3 years) can then lead to acceptance on a 5 year vet medicine programme or is there some sort of shorter 'conversion' programme? I'm thinking of the cost of 8 years' study, apart from everything else.
Original post by Froglady
Our daughter, year 12, hoped to study vet science. She has now been predicted 3Bs at A level. Anyone started another related undergraduate course and successfully transferred to vet science after a year? What is the most relevant course to choose? Thanks for advice! (She is particularly looking at Nottingham and Surrey)

You cannot 'transfer' from one degree to veterinary science. She can either complete a three year degree then apply for veterinary medicine as a graduate applicant (this comes with having to self fund fees as there are no tuition fees loans) or if she doesn't get the required grades for A level, to resit and then apply with the results which she needs. I wouldn't recommend doing it the graduate route however, it's very long and very very expensive, it's much better to resit A levels as required and apply that way.

There are 4 year graduate vet med degrees available, RVC is one of the universities that offers the 4 year course, however the others (Surrey, liverpool, Nottingham etc) all are 5 year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm a third year vet student by the way and I've done it as a graduate after completing a three year bioveterinary science degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you...we're not kidding ourselves that it's a sure route in by any means, and we do think she is likely to do a bit better than 3Bs but want to be on the case with options at the ready. Do you mean that a degree in Bioveterinary Sciences (ie 3 years) can then lead to acceptance on a 5 year vet medicine programme or is there some sort of shorter 'conversion' programme? I'm thinking of the cost of 8 years' study, apart from everything else.

Some vet schools have a 4 year veterinary medicine course for those with a relevant degree, such as bioveterinary science. Typically even with a degree they still consider A levels and require a similar standard however.
Reply 6
Original post by Lizziefickling
You cannot 'transfer' from one degree to veterinary science. She can either complete a three year degree then apply for veterinary medicine as a graduate applicant (this comes with having to self fund fees as there are no tuition fees loans) or if she doesn't get the required grades for A level, to resit and then apply with the results which she needs. I wouldn't recommend doing it the graduate route however, it's very long and very very expensive, it's much better to resit A levels as required and apply that way.

There are 4 year graduate vet med degrees available, RVC is one of the universities that offers the 4 year course, however the others (Surrey, liverpool, Nottingham etc) all are 5 year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I know some unis want 'first attempt only' A level results (Edinburgh, I think, and we are looking into whether the others accept resits). I completely take your point on taking so long to achieve the final degree! I'm surprised though to hear you can't ever 'transfer' after a year doing a related course, if you're doing very well, as I have a friend whose daughter did it although I know it is not an easy or tried-and-tested path. Thanks again for your reply.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I know some unis want 'first attempt only' A level results (Edinburgh, I think, and we are looking into whether the others accept resits). I completely take your point on taking so long to achieve the final degree! I'm surprised though to hear you can't ever 'transfer' after a year doing a related course, if you're doing very well, as I have a friend whose daughter did it although I know it is not an easy or tried-and-tested path. Thanks again for your reply.

Loads of the universities accept resits, half of my year at liverpool resat their A levels and took a gap year so honestly don't worry about that at all! Ed is a bit fussy, they even want consistent results across the board in a degree transcript even if you get the 2:1 they ask for!

Well she could technically transfer, but it would be a waste of £9000 for one year of a degree, and she would still be stuck in the same situation not having the A levels needed, and would still have to apply through UCAS in the October, so it's a waste of time really. There is no 'easy' way into veterinary medicine, and if anyone says they've transferred directly from one degree to vet med without having the A levels, they either have incredibly special circumstances or they are talking rubbish. It's too competitive for them to just take a student over like that without interviews etc even if the student is doing really well in their first year of the original course. The only way of 'transferring' would be to do the year 0 or prelim year that some of the vet schools offer, completion of that year ensures a place in first year of the veterinary degree at the universities, however you need to meet the requirements to be able to apply for those courses and there are very very few places available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you so much. I completely admire your dedication and determination. I did talk to one vet who achieved 6A*s at A level and STILL didn't get any offers, although subsequently she did get into Bristol so we have no illusions about it ever being easy. I know our daughter certainly wouldn't qualify for one of the special places (forgotten the name of them) as she is at an 'outstanding' - their words not mine! - grammar school.
I'm a third year vet student by the way and I've done it as a graduate after completing a three year bioveterinary science degree
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, how are you funding your course 💕 isn’t it really expensive and aren’t you going to be in a lot of debt which is gonna have a big impact on your salary 💛
Original post by Magnolia0
Hey, how are you funding your course 💕 isn’t it really expensive and aren’t you going to be in a lot of debt which is gonna have a big impact on your salary 💛

My parents pay for it. So no, I’m not going to be in a lot of debt. However it doesn’t affect your salary as such, you barely notice the student loan being paid off because it’s a small quantity. I’ll never pay my loans off.
My parents pay for it. So no, I’m not going to be in a lot of debt. However it doesn’t affect your salary as such, you barely notice the student loan being paid off because it’s a small quantity. I’ll never pay my loans off.

Oh I wish my parents could pay for mine 😂❤️ I’m planning on completing a biomedical course and then do dentistry as I want to get a lot of work experience during my degree so I know that it’s for me as at 17 I don’t think I’m mature enough to dedicate my whole life to a certain career and factors that shouldn’t be as important play a big role in my decisions right now 😂🌸 I know it’s such a huge risk financially but at least I’ll be able to make an informed decision then 💛👸🏽 But because I’m going to be in uni for atleast 7 or 8 years I’m gonna be in debt £80’000 and that’s without interest 😳 with interest, God help me 😩 But won’t it affect my salary quite a lot as huge chunks will be taken off, the more you earn and the higher your in debt 🤔 I’m hoping to get a job so I could save up and fund some of the course but mostly likely I’ll have to take out a maintenance loan 😭 Your so lucky you only have debt for your first degree 💎
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Magnolia0
Oh I wish my parents could pay for mine 😂❤️ I’m planning on completing a biomedical course and then do dentistry as I want to get a lot of work experience during my degree so I know that it’s for me as at 17 I don’t think I’m mature enough to dedicate my whole life to a certain career and factors that shouldn’t be as important play a big role in my decisions right now 😂🌸 I know it’s such a huge risk financially but at least I’ll be able to make an informed decision then 💛👸🏽 But because I’m going to be in uni for atleast 7 or 8 years I’m gonna be in debt £80’000 and that’s without interest 😳 with interest, God help me 😩 But won’t it affect my salary quite a lot as huge chunks will be taken off, the more you earn and the higher your in debt 🤔 I’m hoping to get a job so I could save up and fund some of the course but mostly likely I’ll have to take out a maintenance loan 😭 Your so lucky you only have debt for your first degree 💎

In terms of the actual tuition fee loan I wouldn't be remotely worried. You don't pay anything until your income grows over £21,000 per year then around 9% on earnings over this. For example if you earned £25,000 which is a relatively common starting salary for new grads of this type of degree and upwards your monthly deductions would be £30 on a monthly salary of £2,083. This is hardly something to grumble about really. I am unsure where you get the notion that the more you earn the more debt you owe as this is not the case at all. A high earner may pay off their entire student debt over a low earner but the debt is the same irrespective.

FYI you're posting in the veterinary medicine forum, perhaps the dentistry forum would be of more interest to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi are you still active on this account as I have some questions, thanks
Original post by Badman420
hi are you still active on this account as I have some questions, thanks

Hi, not that active but I have just noticed this, if I can help send me a message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending