The Student Room Group

Advice on choosing GCSEs

I'm in Year 9, and currently finalising on the GCSEs I want to do. I want to pick Geography, Sociology and RE, however my Head of Year and Sociology Head is insisting I do French, really strongly.
Obviously I've argued back saying it's ultimately my choice in the end, but he pulled a flip card saying that (this was before GE 2017) if the Conservatives are to say in power, they're forcing every university to accept those who only have The English Baccalaureate, not just the top 20 universities.
Is this total bull, and does it really matter and affect my acceptance into unis if I don't do a language?
i've just done my GCSEs and i chose geography, textiles, history, theology and french. they didn't force people to chose a history/geography for the EBAC but for my younger sibling who is in year nine, they are being encouraged to chose history or geography (as well as do a language which is compulsory at my school) because of the EBAC.
this is what my school has said about it in the year 9 gcse option booklet:
"we would emphasise that geography or history are now being regarded by
the government as being part of a broad and balanced curriculum. As time goes on this is likely to be increasingly reflected by employers and universities and therefore if you are not choosing either geography or history we are asking you to give a brief reason for this on the options form."
i think it should be your decision and the government shouldn't be the ones to decide what you do with your future
hope this helps :smile:
xxx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by es017
i've just done my GCSEs and i chose geography, textiles, history, theology and french. they didn't force people to chose a language for the EBAC but for my younger sibling who is in year nine, they are being encouraged to chose a history or geography (as well as do a language which is compulsory at my school) because of the EBAC.
this is what my school has said about it in the year 9 gcse option booklet:
"we would emphasise that geography or history are now being regarded by
the government as being part of a broad and balanced curriculum. As time goes on this is likely to be increasingly reflected by employers and universities and therefore if you are not choosing either geography or history we are asking you to give a brief reason for this on the options form."
i think it should be your decision and the government shouldn't be the ones to decide what you do with your future
hope this helps :smile:
xxx

Yeah it is important to realise that I'm going to have a career to do with English literature, or something like that, so I don't really believe that not choosing French will affect it at all
thanks though!!
Original post by TheCapstan
Yeah it is important to realise that I'm going to have a career to do with English literature, or something like that, so I don't really believe that not choosing French will affect it at all
thanks though!!

no problem :smile:
it's total ********.

Spoiler

Don't let anyone pressure you into doing French, only do it if you genuinely want to do it. Majority of the girls who have taken a language because they thought it would look good or because their parents told them to totally regret it. What your teacher told you is complete nonsense, Uni's don't even look at you GCSE's properly, it's your A-Level choices that will matter more. The way they teach French at school isn't that great tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest